Subject Author Posted Replies

Installing threshold
The saddle threshold -- has a gradual slope and a steeper slope. Which slope should my front door contact? http://images.orgill.com/200x200/0039560.jpg--

Lights on reminder?
Hi, Could someone suggest a good solution for reminding my family members that the lights are on in a particular room. For example, if I could have an LED light in a decora format I would be more than...
33
33

Heat Pump Thermostat Replacement
The thermostat on my heat pump is temperamental and needs to be replaced. Since it is simple to replace it, I intend to do it myself, if I can purchase the correct replacement. How can I determine...
16
16

2008 NEC - Nat'l Electrical Code - $50
Not sure if this is a good deal or not but thought it might be of interest here. http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/bks/1392274721.html
2
2

Inground water valve
Many years back my father installed a back yard spigot near his garden. The shut off valve sits below the frost level covered by a cast iron sleeve. This valve hasn't been operated for years. Part...
3
3

Good tips here
Many, many good tips here: Whether you call a professional for home repairs or do it yourself, there's a 50/50 chance of something not being right.

Drilling an underground pathway for a pipe using a garden hose
I read that you can hook a PVC pipe to a garden hose then be able to pass that PVC pipe under a driveway. I have done that a few times and with the sandy soil in south Florida it does not take very...
15
15

Direct TV Antenna Questions
I looked for a more proper group to post this in, but could not find a better group. I figured some folks here would know about Direct TV antennas. Ok, first I know next to NOTHING about satellite tv...
34
34

leaky shower
It appears the remodeled shower stall in the master bathroom is leaking water below the floor of my one-story house. The shower has marble tile on the wall and granite-like tile on the floor. The...
3
3

Finish Wood Floors
We have carpet that we want to rip up. We want to have the floors sanded and finished. It's strip floorimg - about 45 years old and seems to be in good condition judging from the corners of the...
2
2

Removing tile
I have a house built in the 1950s with plaster walls. The kitchen has yellow tile on the walls that extends from the countertop to the bottom of the cabinets. The wife wants something different. The...
7
7

Proper way to install insulating batts in flat roof?
Hi all: I'm going to be installing batts into the ceiling (from below) but I'm not sure if there's a "correct" way to secure the batts to the joists. The old insulation (insufficient, only...
1
1

Telephone Service
My telephone charges creep upwards, almost every month, mostly due to increased government mandated charges. I pay AT&T now $ 26 a month for what is essentially local service. Long Distance is on a...
80
80

Septic Tank Questions
I'm new to having a septic tank. This is a new house with a new septic system. The TV commercials would have you dumping in theirs products (enzyme stuff) every week or month. Is this good? Is it...
13
13

Harbor Freight vs. Home depot
How does Harbor Freight tools rate compared to Home depot tools ? I am currently looking for a coordless drill driver capable of driving a 3" screw into a 2" x 4" stud. Any recomendations appreciated.
60
60