Subject Author Posted Replies

Newbie alert! Home Depot's PRICES...
Is there really no alternative to Home Depot's outlandish prices? Nearly $20.00, for a 6-foot piece of 3/4 inch galvanized pipe? I am wanting to replace a shelf in the pantry I built off the...
13
13

Framing out ductwork using furring hat channels
I have an ongoing project in my basement and was considering framing out my HVAC ductwork. I was considering using furring hat channels like this. furring strip is only 7/8" thick. My main concern was...
8
8

Home Inspection?
Howdy, how would I go about hiring someone to inspect possible design/structural problems? I don't want to hire a home inspector as such as I have heard it is better to hire a construction...
15
15

Now, honestly ..........
How many of you use a five gallon plastic bucket for a ladder? I know it's not such a good idea, and I cringe when I see someone else do it, from being a safety professional and suffering from the...
27
27

Bathroom sink overflow opening effectiveness
Consider an extreme situation: a fully opened faucet and a completely closed pop-up bathroom sink drain. Should a properly installed overflow opening actually prevent the sink overflowing? Or it is...
6
6

battery use
Just got some new battery operated tools. When they're charged fully, how long can you keep 'em in the box before you have to re-charge?
14
14

Best Home Repair books?
One person's opinion: http://xrl.us/BestHomeRepair
2
2

NG barbecue
Do NG barbecue units require a pressure regulator? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson
18
18

Repairing a root lifted concrete slab
We have a concrete slab that has been lifted on one side by roots. The slab is against the back of the house. It is 123 inches by 31 inches. The 123 inch edge is lifted on the side away from the...
5
5

Garage door opener oddity
Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular problem... maybe someone here has experienced this. The unit...
13
13

Whole house "battery" wiring/power...
How about getting rid of all those batteries in various devices in the home and connecting the battery connections to one central battery? That is to run separate wires when wiring a home and these...
123
123

Help to mount light on metal pole barn
I planned to use a motion detector with the two flood lights centered above my garage door. I started cutting thinking I would put a plastic box behind the metal siding inside the garage. However,...
14
14

"Kick starting" Beckett oil burner
In order to get my Beckett burner to start on my oil boiler I have to give it a little bit of a kick on the side. I am getting a whole new system in a few days because of the age of everything, but I...

How to measure casement window opening?
I want to replace a double casement over my sink with a 2 view slider. I hear that casement openings can be tricky to measure, but mine looks pretty straight forward. The window is set back a little...
16
16

Replacing elements on Smoothtop Range?
I have a Maytag Performa MER5752BAW Smoothtop range. One of the stove top burner elements wont come on. How does that big piece of glass come off so I can replace the element? Does it just lift off?...
3
3