Subject Author Posted Replies

Blow In Insulation Questions
You guys in this group have come through for me so many times before so I hope you can help again! We have a fifty-something year old house, plaster walls and brick exterior with NO insulation in...
18
18

Load capacity of 200-amp panel (2024 Update)
This came up elsewhere and I am just curious about what the answer is. If someone has a main service panel with a 200-amp main breaker, how many amps of service can that panel actually service? I am...
208
208

What would you do with this shower?
I'm thinking of re-doing a shower stall that is currently tiled, and I want a smooth surface without tiles (I don't care how nice the latest whiz-bang grout is). The bathroom doorway is fairly...
6
6

Need ideas (electrical)
I just built a pole barn (36 x 48). I put clear panels on one side 2 feet from the eave to allow light in during the daytime hours. This seems to work great. I will use this mostly for storage of my...
9
9

Garbage disposal effluents corroding pipes?
My son detected a foul smell coming from somewhere under the kitchen. Suspecting a dead animal in a vent, they called an exterminator. The exterminator said that it was a leak in a sewage pipe. They...
6
6

Clear glass shower doors?
So I'm redoing the bathroom with a tub surround and some bypass doors for showering. I had figured on using obscured glass doors, but I might have a bead on a good deal for some doors with clear...
34
34

Electrical Question
Is it normal to have some residual voltage, under 5 volts, between the neutral and the ground? Voltage between hot and neutral and hot and ground is 120v.
14
14

Sheetrock question
I've got a weird situation where I need to hang sheetrock upside down, like on a ceiling. The board has to span 28 inches between supports. There is no way I can put any more support between the...
13
13

Raccoon Revenge
"[PORTAGE, Ind] Trying to get a large raccoon out from under her mobile home, a Northwest Indiana woman accidently [sic] set the home on fire... [The woman] told police she used a full bag with eight...

Wireless doorbell
My doorbell stopped so I checked the 3 batteries in the ringer unit with a flash light. Sure enough, one was dead as only 2 would light the light and the one would not with either of the other....
5
5

90% efficiency hot water heat boilers
Does anyone have any experience with the high efficiency boilers? I'm considering replacing my 25yr old boiler with one of these, but I'm hearing from some people that they are nothing but...
6
6

Nude homeowner arrested
"SPRINGFIELD, Va., Oct. 20 (UPI) -- A Virginia man said he is fighting the indecent exposure charge brought against him after he was spotted making coffee naked in his kitchen." "..."Yes, I wasn't...
71
71

Foundation Flashing?
The floor of my screen porch is about a foot off the ground. To close off the opening between that and the ground (base of the foundation) there a rather brittle thin surround of a white corrugated...
3
3

OT Paperless bill pay
To me, it is very inconvenient to have to create an account on the web site of all the utility companies to be able to use paperless bill pay. I have a suggestion I think would make this process...
3
3

(OT) car questions ng?
Is there a (US-centric*) equivalent to for car maintenance questions? Didn't seem appropriate to post here, but all the alt car groups I can see seem to be nearly all spam, suggesting that the...
12
12