15 amps or 20 amps

Also, keep in mind devices from different manufacturers, of different ratings, and qualities, will visually be dissimilar. I'd recommend picking something good, but affordable, and use it throughout the house

Reply to
RBM

Lets see, a 14 gage wire with a 15 amp circuit breaker. You put on a 20 amp socket, and plug in a 20 amp appliance. CLICK! the breaker goes off.

Q: What got over heated? A: The customer, cause he thought the 20 amp appliance ought to run, cause after all, it's obviously a 20 amp socket.

Q: What is the fire hazard here? A: I don't see one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you calling the breakers in the panels "switches"

They are switches, but no one calls them that.

You don't need 20A switches to feed the room lights, but you should use 20A breakers in the electrical panel if that is what you already have. If you have many breakers failing you have a much bigger problem.

Reply to
Terry

Sorry, I mispoke again. What I meant was I was looking to replace the switches and outlets throughout the houses and they look different and many of the light, fans and outlets are not working (for example, one set of light I have to turn on and off a few times and get it just right in that position for light to come on, and many switches are like that). The pictures I posted above was the electrical panels. There are only two breakers on 15A and the rest of them are all 20A and above is what I meant. So I do have an 20A circuit for the most part. The two 15A one was to operate the outside soffit recessed lights and the other for the garage overhead lights.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

You could have TEN 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit, allowing you to plug in devices drawing a total of 150A.

Reply to
Sam E

Unless it's wired up with 10ga wire on those 30's, you should replace them with 20's. and I can't imagine taking a 10ga wire to a duplex outlet.

Reply to
Steve Barker

What is "spec grade"? And, how much better is it? Better safety? Lasts longer?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Just look for 'heavy duty' or 'industrial grade' outlets. They will be noticably beefier.

Reply to
Mark

There is nothing more safe about a 20A switch over a 15A switch.

I think you looked in the wrong place. Sometimes they have switches in a bin for $0.90 and then switches in a box for $3.00. I was never able to tell the difference... Probably quality, but certainly not amp rating.

Are you switching your outlets on and off? I think 20A refers to the outlet, not to the switches. Anyway, an appliance that requires a 20A outlet will have a special plug. These are typically industrial versions of stuff and very uncommon in the consumer area. You'll be hard pressed to find a single one in Home Depot or lowes.

The outlet should match the wiring. No point in having an outlet thats stronger than the wiring to it. Stick with 15 if thats what you have now.

Reply to
dnoyeB