Subject Author Posted Replies

Remote control lighting
My son has a shed for his dogs along with a fenced in area outside it. He'd like to install a floodlight on the shed so he can check on the dogs at night. Is there a remote control system that he...
12
12

Extending multiple BX cables: with multiple bx cables or multiple wires in greenfield?
Awl -- I've posted on aspects of this before, and d-day is coming. The situation is this: A fuse panel upstairs is being eliminated, and the #14 bx cable extended down about 10-15 feet to a new...
14
14

Order of Operations to Refinish Table Top - DSCF4160 (Small).JPG (0/1)
Note that the bare area has some raised grain and that there is considerable staining. I propose: (1) Strip (2) Sand (3) Refinish with stain/poly combo. I assume I will need to apply oxalic acid at...
11
11

If it's level and plumb, it must be square, right?
Why do we check for square? Let's say I'm installing a window. I put the window in the rough opening, shim it up and grab my level. It's plumb on both sides, and the top and bottom are...
36
36

Hanging a split jamb prehung door problem
For the life of me, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong while hanging the door. The bottom of the door hits the striker side first with about an 1" gap at the top. The hinge side is plumb. The...
8
8

Arc-fault breaker on troffer lights tripping
I've got a HomeLine 20 amp Arc-fault breaker that intermittently trips on a circuit that has troffer lights. Is this a common problem?? There are two 3-way switches controlling the lights. When I...
7
7

nails or screws for plywood?
I'm going to try to install t1-11 panels on my porch ceiling. They'll be attaching directly to the trusses. Shank nails or screws, or does it matter? Thanks.
10
10

Way OT: Fort Hood
It's hard to resist repeating these two observations from a recent news article: "It's remarkable that Hasan [the shooter] would encounter more return fire from a typical Texas Walmart than he...
47
47

wire nuts
Is it permissible to secure several solid and stranded #14 wires with wire nuts? Any preparation necessary? Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson
6
6

Question about replacing SHower Drain??
Hi, I have one of those el-cheapo one piece plastic (or whatever it is) shower / bath-tub enclosures. Need to replace the shower drain since the 0.000000001mm (LOL) "chrome" coating has come off and...
4
4

roof framing question
On the current series of This Old House, they're (among other things) putting a two-story, one-room-wide-ish addition on a house. The addition has a gambrel roof, at right angles to the main roof....
8
8

Crawl space water proofing
Got most of my crawl space dug out to 42 inches so I can move around. Time to put plastic sheeting on the dirt. Got some 6 mil from HD. What's the best way to handle this 20 foot wide material. I...
10
10

gasoline for lawnmower
OK, I've spend some bucks to get my Murray carb cleaned out, and I'm told that I can avoid that problem (though it's taken ten years to happen ...) in the future by using appropriate, well...
103
103

Heat $ LPG vs Electric
Using this calculator, it tells me that straight electric heat costs me only about 9% more than LPG. Does this look right? My costs Electric $0.0975/KWH and LPG $1.96/gallon suppose adding in the cost...
12
12

Stained ceiling tiles.
This single floor, plus full in ground basement, bungalow, has ceilings of those one foot square fibrous interlocking tiles. In family room and the adjoining kitchen and hallway (About one third of...
4
4