Subject Author Posted Replies

What can I get out of Pella?
Hi, I ordered a $2000 bay window from Pella and it came an 1 1/4" to wide so it won't fit into the rough opening without cutting cinder block, extending head beam, etc. Pella's saying that all...
56
56

Seal exterior of brick house?
I have a 50+ year old brick ranch house in coastal VA. During the N'oreaster of a week or so ago, we had steady 30+ mph winds with (in our case) 10.9" of rain. Ten days later, we can still see the...
9
9

For the Electrical Wizards....
Awl -- So I finally unloaded those 20 old #14 bx cables off the ancient upstairs fuse panel, onto a breaker panel downstairs, 7 (mis-wired) Edison circuits and all.... It went pretty well, with about...
4
4

OT - Thanksgiving, American style
Especially while everyone is snoozing during the Lions game.
14
14

Puck Board
I've built a shower enclosure using puck board but find that silicon sealant will not adhear to it. Any suggestions please on this problem please. Tx.
4
4

Black mold growth in silicone caulk
Seven years ago I stripped out the old caulk around the base of the tub surround. The last caulking was at installation seven years prior but this last seven it has grown faster and further. So, is...
9
9

Leaking faucet (arrrgh!)
I have a single-handle Peerless faucet in my kitchen. It has a persistent drip that I've attempted to fix a couple times. The drip is out of the faucet end (aerator) itself, not from around the...
6
6

"DC Company that repaired Gray's house lacked license"
business as usual in Washington, D.C. Company that repaired Gray's house lacked license Jeffrey Anderson THE WASHINGTON TIMES The politically connected company that arranged for a home renovation...

will this work?
Not sure where I stand on this one. I have a labelled 3/4" water meter. My line to the barn is 1". Can I use that meter with it OK? I would think that flow would easily be handled with a 1/2" line.
2
2

composting gutter debris
I just cleaned the gutters of the house we bought last year, and there was ~1" of a sandy dirty debris in the bottom of the gutters. It looked like some dirt mixed with the sandy/pebbly offal from the...
2
2

Old Stanley Garage Door Opener
Model 2000.05, from maybe 1984. I push the button on the wall or the remote and the motor starts opening or closing but stops dead in about a second. I know, I know, the safety/reverse switch. Turned...
22
22

Request for advice on sanders to prep for paint
I'd like to ask for advice on purchasing a sander that will help us on some home projects. We're doing a lot of painting in two houses to just change the look of a few rooms, take out of...
6
6

Hinge Pin Locks
Does anyone know where to get hinge pin locks? Or hinges with locking pins? This would be for an exterior door that opens out leaving the hinge pins accessible when the door is locked. I have searched...
13
13

How to 'Flush' a countertop
My galley kitchen (posted pics in another thread) has an L shaped bar with cabinets on the bottom. In my remod I want to cut the raised bar off and make the countertop flush. What's the best way...
2
2

grinding concrete question
I need to grind an apron or slope area across a garage door opening. The opening originally had storefront glass in it, so the edge of the slab is flat. I'm wanting to go about an inch deep at the...
15
15