Subject Author Posted Replies

Hot Ceiling from fuel lamp
Does a kerosene or propane lamp create enough heat to be a fire hazard? When hung from a cup hook, from the ceiling? Is a heat shield needed?
21
21

Central furnace cuts off just after starting
Ruud Silhouette II, automatic pilot Started it up for the first time this season- pilot glows, gas blows in and starts burning for a few seconds then flames and pilot die. Blowing cold air.
9
9

GFI Outlet
I have a freezer in my garage that is plugged into a GFI outlet. I was told that this was not a good thing. Would this be an easy fix by changing out the outlet, or should I move the freezer which is...
11
11

Denmark energy efficient homes -- and shops?
Awl -- PBS's World Focus had a little ditty on Denmark energy efficiency -- $15 per YEAR heating bills! Holy shit.... ROI on these systems seems to be about 10 years, whose initial cost is about 10%...
6
6

choice of primers and paints
Looking for recommendations on primers and paints for: home interior home exterior garage/shop Now then.. for my shop/garage/office.. I bought a couple of gals of Kilz general purpose at WalMart. I...
37
37

Gas Stove Problem
I have a commercial natural gas stove that is acting weird. There are 6 burners and 2 of them will not light by themselves. I have to use a lighter for them (pilot is on and the matching burners light...
2
2

Buying vs Building... some questions
Hi Everyone, My wife and I have decided to sell our older ranch style house to move up to something newer and bigger since we now have a kiddo with hopefully more to come. But with this we're debating...
35
35

vacuuming fireplace
Is it a bad idea to vacuum the ashes out of the fireplace with a ShopVac, using the "soot" bag? I feel like it might clog the bag, but otoh, isn't that the point of a soot-style bag? What about...
15
15

OT-Before You Buy That Cell Phone Battery Locally
First, I don't do cell phones at all for a list of reasons. So a neighbor of mine has a cell phone and the battery died. Goes to Radio Shack and they want $50 for one. Goes to a big battery store and...
19
19

Sears Service & Repair Center
I went to my local Sears Service & Repair Center today. I needed a part for an appliance. Before I went I found the part at For a few seconds I hesitated. Should I just order it off the internet or...
4
4

Diabolical particle board
Awl -- So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying self-employed) has regular tag sales, and...
7
7

Dimmable Fluorescents
Hi, The standard Lutron dimmable switch will not work well with fluorescents. Lutron makes a special switch (model number DVFTU-5A3P) that works with dimmable fluorescents. I went through a month or...

How do you cut cement board (hardy board)
How do you cut cement board (hardy board) thanks
11
11

Electrical Outlets
Not being an electrician, I often find it difficult dressing wires to electrical outlets in boxes. In particular, it is hard to get two #14 or #12 around the same outlet screw reliably. Recently I...
14
14

Thermostat for new heating system
Hi, I'm getting a new heating system installed (York 98% efficient furnace with modulating gas vale and ECM motor). I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with: a) How does a modulating...
12
12