Subject Author Posted Replies

Installing Hardwood floor over existing Older Doug Fir T&G Floor
Is it possible to install a new Hardwood floor over an old Hardwood Doug Fir T&G floor from the fifties. Do you need to put plywood down first and if so how thick should it the most part the current...
12
12

Laying carpet
My wife is complaining that our 12 year old carpet int he house needs ot be replaced. I am a do it yourselfer and wondered how hard this would be to do myself working one room at a time?
20
20

dirty spots on flocked ceiling
Our house has a white flocked ceiling, which is pretty nice. In the areas right around the ceiling HVAC vents, the flocking has gotten discolored over the years, partly because of dust that can be...
8
8

forced hot water system - no advustment valve on living room radiators
greetings! i have a colonial house with a forced hot water system. All of the radiators have round knobs to adjust the heat but the living and dining room units are build into the wall and are...
1
1

If you're going to build one of these cat-exercise wheels, I think it would be a hoot to rig up a speedometer! I bet an old speedometer from a car that had a mechanical linkage to the transmission...
1
1

Low voltage socket.
I replaced all or my sockets and switches in my home a couple of years ago. I now have one that has low voltage on my 'analog' votl meter. Yea I know google groups and an analog voltmeter. I get it......
20
20

Ariens Snowblower Axle Wont Turn
Just got a new Ariens 920006 Compact 24 snowblower. It blows snow great, but there seems to be some problem with the wheel drive. When the traction clutch is released, the axle can spin freely. But...
11
11

Grohe thermostatic valve warm water problem
Hello I have a Grohe thermostatic valve 34 122 000. For some reason the water is just warm is not hot. Is this a safety measure or can this be fixed?
1
1

OT break in oil for a new car
Do new cars still come with break in oil? Did they ever? I have always heard that the oil that came with a new car should be changed sooner. I just checked the owners manual of a new Honda and found...
80
80

Interior wall wire issue (splice?)
I'm attempting to add a recessed medicine cabinet. My understanding of the NEC code is that any splices must be in an approved box and accessible. The accessible part is what I'm having issue with....
19
19

OT [car, not home, repair]
OK, those subthreads in my recent humungous über-thread on "made in China" about automobiles has me thinking about a long-ago car I used to own, and whether in retrospect I could've gotten it...
17
17

FOLOW-UP on removing and replacing outdoor floodlight from inside the attic!!
A couple month ago, because I didn't have a 26 foot ladder, I came up with this hair-brained scheme to replace the floodlight outside my house, while inside the attic. Actually, people here were...
4
4

OT: How can I make one of these?
(be sure to watch the last 30 seconds) I thought of cutting down a 55 gallon drum with a bearing in the middle of the bottom, but that's too small diameter. Or start with a frame and attaching a...
4
4

Pergo Questions???????????????
We're about to do 5 rooms of Pergo in the house and have a few questions. We have the first room about ready to go, did self leveling floor coating and all cleaned. Have the vapor barrier all ready,...
18
18

Cannot program Onkyo Receiver with Direct TV remote -- Help !
I have a Direct TV system, and an Onkyo Receiver. I run the audio through my stereo system. I am trying to program my Direct TV remote, so that I can adjust the tv volume, by adjusting the volume on...
5
5