Subject Author Posted Replies

FOLOW-UP on removing and replacing outdoor floodlight from inside the attic!!
A couple month ago, because I didn't have a 26 foot ladder, I came up with this hair-brained scheme to replace the floodlight outside my house, while inside the attic. Actually, people here were...
4
4

OT: How can I make one of these?
(be sure to watch the last 30 seconds) I thought of cutting down a 55 gallon drum with a bearing in the middle of the bottom, but that's too small diameter. Or start with a frame and attaching a...
4
4

Pergo Questions???????????????
We're about to do 5 rooms of Pergo in the house and have a few questions. We have the first room about ready to go, did self leveling floor coating and all cleaned. Have the vapor barrier all ready,...
18
18

Cannot program Onkyo Receiver with Direct TV remote -- Help !
I have a Direct TV system, and an Onkyo Receiver. I run the audio through my stereo system. I am trying to program my Direct TV remote, so that I can adjust the tv volume, by adjusting the volume on...
5
5

Bryant Blower Motor Loud Startup
Thompson's Water Seal comes immediately to mind.
21
21

Whirlpool Dishwasher: Motor Hot but Won't Run
The horizontally mounted motor on my 5 year old Whirlpool Model DP840 dishwasher has stopped running. The sprayer arm rotates freely when turned manually. The machine fills and the inlet control valve...
10
10

Snow-shovel; snow sticks to it: how to make slippery?
Here I am 10 miles north of NYC, and we're in the middle of (so they say) one heck of a snowstorm. I've been out shoveling. Problem: Snow sticks to the shovel, maybe 2 (3?) inches of it. Sticks so...
20
20

Gas Furnace Question
How does a "vent safety switch" work? I'm trouble-shooting a friend's gas furnace (Empire Comfort Systems Model #GW-25-6). I have isolated the problem to what the instruction booklet calls a "manual...
31
31

Repairing Inflatable Cushion
A relative uses an inflatable plastic seat cushion, and it has a leak. I was able to localize the leak to a particular plastic seam but taping this did not repair the leak. Can someone recommend an...
6
6

Vent Free Gas Furnace - Moisture Issues?
This unit seem like the perfect solution for my chilly basement. reading up on vent-free heaters, I found that they add a lot of moisture to the house. See "What about Moisture?" here: 95% furnace is...
7
7

Best way to clean a diesel engine oil leak on an aggregate driveway.
Please help! My diesel truck leaked oil on the driveway of my new house. The driveway has stones mixed in with concrete on the surface and it's been sealed. I took some paper towels right away to it...
14
14

Forced Hot Water Heating System Valves Question
Hi, Live in the typical two story Colonial. Have gas fired, forced hot water heating system. About 30 years old. Has two zones, and an electric circulator for upstairs, and one for downstairs. On each...
9
9

repairing a kitchenaid mixer
Hello, our mixer broke, so I took it apart and I found a metal piece where the teeth were gone, so I guess this is it, and ordered a new part: the gears in the casing were all in a lot of grease. I...
4
4

interior foundation insulation of conditioned crawlspace?
My basement space in Portland Oregon consists of two types of areas. 1. Along two walls is an unconditioned crawl space. 2. The remainder of the basement is insulated stud walls that is conditioned....
1
1

Drilling a Hole in Hardieplank
What drill bit do I use to drill a small hole in Hardieplank? A masonry bit does not work.
16
16