Subject Author Posted Replies

working with foam board?
Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I'm trying to replace the old scuttle panel for access to my attic with a contraption that I am trying to make out of some 2" (thickest I could find) foam...
16
16

mounting tile vertically outside
I have three Sonotubed rounds that are about 24" high, 30" diameter. They are exterior, and get snow and rain and direct sun. I would like to cover this now bare concrete. Ideally, I'd like to tile...
5
5

Two Stories
STORY NUMBER ONE Many years ago, Al Capone virtually owned Chicago . Capone wasn't famous for anything heroic. He was notorious for enmeshing the windy city in everything from bootlegged booze and...
1
1

Electrical boxes -- screw size?
I have mislaid the screws that originally held one of those old ceramic light sockets in place on a hard plastic ("Bakelite"? Or is that a British name?) box. What size and thread are those screws?...
16
16

Brass Kickplate
How can I polish a badly tarnished brass kickplate for my front door? Chemicals haven't worked. Would a buffer help? The plate is solid brass, and I'd like to return as much of the shine as possible....
21
21

Snowblower electric start
A friend who does snow has a Sears 8.5hp 27" 2 stage snowblower with 120v electric starter. It doesnt seem to have an option to put on a 12v battery for the starter, since its commercial use off a...
15
15

removing a toilet flange.. ?
Hi, i am trying to replace a broken/rusted flange. and i think it is made of plastic. It is glued to the a PVC pipe (black) - which is the sewer pipe. what are the methods to remove the old flange ? i...
5
5

Happy New Year
As we are approaching midnight, I just wanted to post a quick note to thank everyone that has tried to help me with my various problems I have posted about over this past year. Thank you and may you...
2
2

How to repair darkened granite in the kitchen
3 years ago I installed granite countertops in our kitchen. The granite was bright yellow ("Madura gold"). Since then, the granite became visibly darker in the areas with a lot of water (eg around the...
6
6

Which color caulk?
White enamel tub, almond tile. Looking for what color caulk to use where the tile hits the tub. Almond color caulk is the *exact* shame shade and gloss as my tile. Or there's white caulk. Then there's...
14
14

small kerosene space heaters
I have a woodburning stove in my basement, and I'm getting tired of dealing with the smoke and mess every time I try to light the thing and it has a strong back draft (chimney is installed correctly,...
29
29

Battery for backup sump pump
The battery we bought to go with our "Basement Watchdog" backup sump pump about six years ago seems to be about dead and in need of replacement. We bought the "official" BW battery, which is not...
39
39

Construction of sprung dance floor?
I dance 3 or 4 nights a week on the Willowbrook Ballroom dance floor. It is a 6200 square foot bare maple floor constructed in the early 1920's. It has had dancers on it continuously since then...
20
20

Praise for another manufacturer
Not relating to home appliances, although I think LG does make appliances as well. In fact I think our Kenmore microwave is by LG. A 19" 4:3 LG LCD monitor quit while still -- just -- in warranty. I...
9
9

Thanks and now back to lurking
People, or at least a good few of you, don't give up your day jobs and please keep the not-so-expert advice coming, it's hilarious. I wouldn't let some of you nail a shingle on my shit house roof....
6
6