Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas Smell - Propane Logs
We have propane fireplace logs. They have been working well for several years. They still appear to be working well. However, in the last few days, my wife and I have noticed that there is a propane...
22
22

Is RTF grass seed a marketing gimmick or does it actuall look like Fescue & work well
Anyone with real-life experience with RTF (Rhizome Tall Fescue) grass seed? Is RTF grass seed a marketing gimmick or does it actually work (& look good on a front and back hillside lawn with lots of...
5
5

Moving front door back 1/4"
Hi there. I bought a house, and we noticed we had problems with draftiness from the front door. I bought new seals, and as I was installing them I saw the root cause of the problem: The front door...
16
16

Frost in Attic
Hi, I have what may or may not be an issue with frost in my attic. First a little background.... I have a bungalo built in the 50's that has a gable style roof. The home has plasterboard walls with...
18
18

PVC question
I'm replacing a broken flow-switch on a hot tub, and since I've never used PVC cement before, I want to make sure I don't screw this up. The flow-switch has a fitting (hope that's the right word) on...
7
7

weird painting occurrance
Was spot painting another area of my house yesterday... I'd taken down a big mirror (permanently mounted) over my fireplace and cleaned up the marks around it, patched the plaster around the boxes for...
7
7

Steam hard surface floor cleaners
Has anyone tried one of those steam cleaners? Did you like it or hate it?
4
4

Pushbutton Wall Switch
My house, built in 1960, has several wall switches actuated by rectangular pushbuttons that fit the same switchplates as normal toggle switches. One switch is now sticking. Any idea how I can fix it?...
17
17

Corner gets driven over - how to stop?
I live on a corner lot. On the corner on the street, people like to drive over the curb and the yard as they go around the corner. I put some pics here for those that want to see exactly what is...
60
60

I can't figure out how to remove kitchen faucet end sprayer from under sink?
I can't figure out how to remove the kitchen faucet end sprayer from under the sink? It doesn't have wrench flats and it doesn't seem to just pull apart? Do I need to pull with more force or is there...
11
11

Flooring for attic
This past weekend I finally got around to putting an attic ladder in my house. The attic floor is 2X6's 16"OC. It has some tongue and groove flooring in part of the attic, but I wanted to add more...
13
13

Garage door is leaking water from the bottom (but it has a gasket)
My garage door is downhill of a slope and water is leaking in at the bottom even though the door has a rubbery gasket all along the bottom and it appears closed. Do you know if this is a common...
9
9

OT: Weight Distribution - Trailer vs. Vehicle
Given a front wheel drive mini-van pulling a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer, is there a recommended weight distribution between what should be put in the trailer and what should be put in the towing vehicle?...
16
16

Chimney heat loss (is there a better way to temporarily close it up)
My chimney, circa 1985, lets a lot of heated air out of the top floor causing the "fireplace room" to be ten degrees colder than the rest of the house even though I never have used it as a...
12
12

Cold Water Supply Line
When I climbed under the house over the weekend to adjust my water pressure regulator, I traced the cold water supply line from the point that it enters the crawl space. The plumbing in my house is...
12
12