Subject Author Posted Replies

Raleigh-Durham, NC
Is anyone here who does residential remodeling and repair from Raleigh-Durham, NC? As I have posted, I have a couple of projects beyond my meager capability. I've never met a handyman who knew what...
7
7

Leak Under Kitchen Sink
There was a small leak over a long period of time under my kitchen sink. This past weekend, I went under the house for other reasons. Out of curiosity, I looked at the floor underneath the sink. It is...
10
10

Refrigerator problem - again!
For the second time in four months I had to have service on my new refrigerator (under warranty). This is a low end Whirlpool with top freezer. There is only one temperature control. The freezer was...
3
3

NM wires too short. Now what?
When I replace my main panel I will need to move it down about 2" or 3" from where the current panel is. Several of the branch circuits are running through the top of the main panel and they will do...
14
14

Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen
The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of the ceramic tile. What are modern...
21
21

Sherwinn Williams
Hi,im going to be painting the house this spring,what is better to use,duration,or super paint,im going to be using a paint gun,any advice ,thanks dan.
22
22

Is this a Payne or a BDP gas air furnace/ac & how is it cleaned?
What kind of furnace do I have and where do I find a manual for how to clean it? The hot air gas furnace/ac only says "Payne" on the outside yet old service paperwork says "BDP" with a long bunch of...
1
1

Floor
I am also building a dance floor for my dance studio and trying to figure out how to not spend 40K on a dance floor. Below are some great links. There is a CAD drawing from the Harleqin website that...
3
3

repairing a section of a textured wall
Someone pushed a chair into the wall beneath a window. Some of the textured wall surfacing was knocked off, and some remains on the wall but is loosened from the drywall surface. I know how to mud and...
8
8

INSTALL DOORS ON SLOPING SLAB
Hi people, I need some advice please. I'm ripping out and installing some new exterior doors (w/casings, brick molding, etc.) at some apartments that are probably 30 years old, or older! There are 5,...
4
4

How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse?
I set up a mouse trap in the garage and have caught several mice successfully. After several peaceful months, I found the trap tripped again and the peanut butter all gone, but there is no mouse to be...
54
54

The things ya see in houses ...
... latest being a kitchen ventilator, installed above a range/oven combo. Secured to cabinets above, correctly wired in but ... not vented. What were they thinking?
29
29

Railroad torpedos
you need to know from Trains Magazine. And yes, Victoria, they were made out of dynamite. Steve Trains magazine offers railroad news, railroad industry insight, commentary on today's freight...
30
30

Can neutral service wire be insulated?
Two questions. Can the neutral wire coming from the meter pan to the main panel be insulated? I just bought enough 2/0 THHN to run the two mains and the neutral. What is the minimum size sch 40 pvc...
20
20

Power usage
I noticed that I used 237 kilowatts last month but only used 140 kilowatts a year ago last month. I don't do anything different from last year than this year.
18
18