Subject Author Posted Replies

PVC waste pipe leak
I have a leak in the drain line from one of the upstairs bathrooms in a wall in the kitchen. Without opening the wall, my guess is that the screw that holds the wire shelves in the kitchen was put...
17
17

Home gadgets that cause interference with other domestic gear. Bah ....
For example a family member installed a legally sold 'electronic thermostat' to better control the heat in their bedroom. It did a good job of that. But ........... Unfortunately it emitted RFI (Radio...
27
27

Galley Kitchen Measurement Question
Hello, For the sake of workability what should be the perfect measurement, between the sink-area, countertop edge, and the opposite (stove-area), countertop edge? I once had a galley kitchen and...
10
10

Need indicator light in the mailbox to see if anything is inside
I need a recommendation for an indicator light (maybe mailorder?) for my mailbox. Here's the situation. * It's a custom mailbox, basically a door cemented in a pillar of concrete * It just has a...
81
81

Somewhat off topic but worth a look.......
....for the people here who appreciate workmanship and skill:
2
2

New Hot Water Boiler
I am considering replacing my hot water boiler this year. Presently have a Burnham which has served me well for 35 years. I did the installation 35 years ago and now I am going to get prices from...
7
7

Hardwood floor buckling from HVAC duct underneath
Lately I've noticed a problem in my living room floor in that the wood is buckling or crowning a bit with gaps between the boards directly above where there is an HVAC duct running underneath between...
20
20

Toyota Lawnmower Recall
video:
3
3

Roof leak - Mold
I had a couple shingles fly off in a windstorm, then it snowed. The slow thaw was perfect for leaking into the attic. I didn't find it until I smelled something, then found the guest bedroom closet...
6
6

toilet installation question....
I have a question . I am installing (or will be) a toilet. Now when they design these things, is the toilet flange pretty well level with the floor ( in other words countersunk)? I made allowances for...
3
3

Snow blower recommendations?
Awl -- Haven't seen CR reviews.... can anyone summarize Best Picks? The new "style" seems to be the Honda/Toro, which look like old Hoover cannister vacs. Don't want the big Sears/Ariens bulldozer...
22
22

Funny snow blower problem...
Awl -- Always the carburetion, it seems. Last snow, a month or so ago, ran fine, a Sears "6.0 hp" ditty. Today, it would run for only 10 sec, and would have to constantly be re-primed and started....
44
44

Joint compound types/options/prices
I have a few questions about choosing joint compound for taping sheetrock walls. I also have a question about "plaster". For taping sheetrock walls: I know there is "regular" pre-mixed and...
23
23

Water flow - more through 45 elbows than 90 elbows?
Here is a somewhat more esoteric question. I have to snake around some stuff, and I can do it with two 90 degree elbows, or two "45" degree elbows. In the end, will using the 45 elbows give noticably...
32
32

THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN YOUR FRIDGE...
...is to take the bastard outside and pressure wash the son of a bitch
9
9