Subject Author Posted Replies

contact cement
------------------------------------- Before I use contact cement in my home, I was hoping for a bit of saftey info. I was wondering how toxic this adhesive is once it has dried. I now the vapors are...
11
11

Building a fireplace
Is it possible (or rational) to build a wood burning fireplace with a stone or brick chimney in a house that did not originally have one? Can you safely cut through a roof and build out a chimney...
19
19

RTV RED Sealant for Oven
Mother-in-law's built-in oven -- 1970's Maytag -- has a loose top gasket around the oven door. I was thinking Permatex's Hi-Temp Red Silcone Sealant would work to resecure. Since I've only used this...
7
7

Shower diverter problem -- Answers anyone??
I have a Moen shower set-up, which works fine, except lately the diverter (I think that is the name of the part) seems to bind a bit when I push it in to divert water from the tub spout to the shower...
11
11

A better fireplace plug?
I bought a fireplace plug (rectangular) from HD to stop air from leaking in/out. Unfortunately, when the plug is inflated it has creases along the edges and is unable to seal tight against the...
9
9

Doorbell Update
Today my friend, figured out how to change my current battery operated doorbell to a wired doorbell . There were three sets of wires inside my guest coat closet, in the entry way. One set goes to the...
22
22

Help - fridge is dying fast
Hi, I posted last week about our GE Profile fridge starting to lose its cooling power. Well, we decided to order new appliacnes and they are coming next Friday March 5th. In the meantime the fridge...
19
19

Water Heater Thermostat settings ?
We just had a new Rheem 50 gal water heater installed. The water was way too high for our needs. I turned the power off, and took off the plates to the thermostats. Both the upper and lower elements...
55
55

? DSL installation
My church is about to connect to the Internet. We're going to add DSL to the existing phone service, and I don't have any experience with DSL (just cable.) I talked to "Jessica" this afternoon the...
39
39

Wall Insulation
Another thing I am dealing with now that I have the room gutted is that the room below it was insulated with that old foam insulation that has shrunk and was not doing a very good job. So I added some...
12
12

Does anyone have a Fog Shower?
I think we all hate getting out of the shower cold and butt freezing during the winter and I was thinking of a steam shower that could save water, Iet you turn off the water, scrub, and then rinse...
7
7

Regarding "HydroCare" Limescale Water Device
Hi, I have a hard time believing "HydroCare", a device that you attach to your cold water pipe, which is suppose to prevent lime scale damage to plumbing and appliances, actually works. This product...
1
1

electrical outlet placement under window code question
every 12 feet, 6 foot cord, blah, blah.... I have a 19 foot wall that has has left to right: 1. 1' of wall 2. 3' feet of door 3. 1' of wall 4. 6' of window 5. 8' of wall In a normal situation, one...
7
7

1995 Pulse furnace
1995 Lennox Pulse 21 furnace. Ironically I did everything from welding the heat exchanger to assembling it to installing it in my house. I am not an HVAC tech or an engineer. The other day I noticed...
12
12

Snow Cover On Roof Provides Wind Protection?
Huh? Gusts to 70 mph expected. Weather guy said that snow on roof will lessen chances of shingles (asphalt, in my case) being lifted. Any truth to this statement?
368
368