Subject Author Posted Replies

Final Doorbell Update
I want to thank everyone who helped me figure out how to convert a battery operated doorbell to a wired doorbell. It took about three hours, and it came out very nice. Of course, I did not do this...
2
2

brick steps chipping
I have about 6 rows of steps leading up to my porch, they're made out of bricks and mortar. The problem is small chips break off from the bricks occasionally and the problem seems to get worse in the...
4
4

How to treat your HVAC tech
1. When it's 105 out and I've just come out of your attic please do not offer me anything to drink. Us heating and air techs have a special gene that lets us recycle our sweat when licked of off our...
48
48

New Harbor Freight Multifunction Tool
I picked up the one speed model today. While it's simple enough, I don't understand where to use the scraper blade. What can I cut with the large blade? The manual is no help. There is an extra set of...
28
28

Room Ventilation
This room that I am working on right now will be used for recording and will be about as soundprooof as I can get it without going too overboard cost wise. So, to me, that means that it is going to be...
11
11

Pop Sci Harbor Freight Coupons
Just an FYI... The March issue of Pop Sci has Harbor Freight coupons that are good until 6/17/10. They've got the Multifunction tool for $34.99. I'm going to pick up one tomorrow. The coupons are on...
34
34

Where to get antique push button switches
Back in the early part of the 20th century, many homes had push button switches. There were two buttons one was ON, the other was OFF. The ones I saw always had black buttons with a detail on the top...
6
6

OT- Japanese Quality Control
This post has to do more with corporate manufacturing philosophy than making saw dust, but it might interest a few readers. In the weekend edition of the WSJ there was an article describing a tour of...
16
16

Oily Water Turned Soil Gray!!!
Hi everyone, A few months ago, my car had a major oil leak ( Rear Main Seal ), and when I started it up, oil basically POURED right out in A STREAM, and my car went through one quart of oil in like 5...
8
8

SEALING FORMICA
My Formica countertops are getting a bit "long in the tooth". and they stain easy. I'm just not ready to replace them with granite, marble, platinum, or whatever the latest fad in countertops. Can...
6
6

Radiator w/o bleeder
Hi, I came into possession of a radiator that doesn't have a bleeder. What the radiator basically is, is a continuous tube twisted back and forth like a snake. Now, when I install this radiator, it'll...
7
7

Apartment building
Hi all, I just recently purchased a 20 unit apartment building and am having some issues. Non of the issues are with the building itself, only its visitors. I keep getting property damage on the...
29
29

Deck Cleaning
"Ask This Old House" had an episode in which Tommy helped a guy clean his deck before sealing it. Tommy said NOT to use a pressure washer as it damages the wood fibers. We have to clean our front...
26
26

What went wrong with weatherization
Popular Mechanics article on the dismal failure of the stimulus-plan - and other - weatherization projects. It's not all bad, though. Ohio is going gang-busters! of the 32,000 units planned for...
38
38

contact cement
------------------------------------- Before I use contact cement in my home, I was hoping for a bit of saftey info. I was wondering how toxic this adhesive is once it has dried. I now the vapors are...
11
11