Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric service panels within apartment units
I am trying to understand what the NEC requirements are for new service disconnects and electric service panels within existing individual apartment units. I think I almost have it down, but I'm not...
7
7

About recalls for runaway cars.
When I was a teen driver back in the 1950s, I had cars that would not stop , shift into neutral, or depress the clutch (these were all standard shift cars). There were no recalls, either from the car...
184
184

97 Volts on Outdoor Outlet
Our neighbor's house was recently hit by lightning. All that we suffered were blown GFCI's throughout our house. After replacing the GFCIs, all outlets are measuring 123 volts as normal except for...
11
11

It's time to change your tire air
This Sunday is when we all change our clocks to daylight savings time. That means that you will lose an hour of sleep or drinking time, and either be eraly or late for all your appointments next week,...
21
21

Tile on (prefab) fireplace?
We had gas logs installed in our fireplace last night. The installer said that we should burn it for a couple of hours to get the logs set. Ok, it was cool so the fire was nice. When I went to bed I...
2
2

tiling onto plywood or OSB?
Can I stick ceramic (floor) tiles directly onto plywood or OSB? I'm a little tight for clearance on a potential project (at least if I use 3/4" for the subfloor, and I worry that anything less will...
8
8

Speaking of screws!!!!!! And Lowes in general.
I was at Lows a few days ago looking for some screws I could use for framing. I have a tough time driving nails at different angles and like to always have 3-4 inch screws handy. I couldn't find them....
17
17

securing exterior doors
Our home has several exterior passage doors, and a discussion on the combo screws reminded me to post a little thing I did to gain security when out of town. On all the inswing doors, I installed...
11
11

Definition of a Plumber
A plumber is a farmer who grows and sells plums. It's NOT a guy who fixes pipes. That guy is called a PIPER!
13
13

Kenmore washer dispenser problem
Our Kenmore front-loading washer (417.41142000 -- manufactured by Frigidaire, I think) no longer flushes the detergent and fabric softener completely from the dispenser. We've never used the bleach...

Unconventional attic insulation (XPS)?
I've got sheets of 2.5" XPS (R-15). I'm considering placing a layer on top of the existing blown-in insulation. Any idea if this is a safe/sensible thing to do? The XPS will be supported by trusses...
7
7

reciprocating saw
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are...
36
36

Rotting wood under bathroom tile
There's a spot in front of a shower where 3 or 4 of the tiles were unstable. On lifting them, I found wood (probably cheap ply) that had rotted due to leakage from the shower. The problem seems...
9
9

What are those strange screws used for locks?
Installing a lockset today (el cheapo Kwikset entry w/deadbolt), I noticed they included two of those weird screws in the hardware package. I worked out that they were intended to hold the passage...
44
44

Poll Question regarding your cordless drill.
Would you rather have to put in a few drops of oil through a lubricating hole after every few hours of running your drill and double the length of time of use without having to replace any parts or...
28
28