Subject Author Posted Replies

on topic for a change - old Pella window problem.
A friend's house (about 50 years old) has what I believe are original Pella windows that need a bit of sash work. The balance mechanisms are aluminum or zinc and have a round hump profile - flat on...
13
13

The United States was just sold to China
March 20, 2010 China just purchased the United States of America. The sale took place early this morning, when president Obama accepted the offer to trade the country to China in trade for complete...
13
13

want to remove pedestal sink from bathroom, first time
Hi. I have a pedestal sink that I want to remove.. I have not done this before just want to ask a couple of questions. First, once I shut the cold and hot water below the pedestal, should that be best...
11
11

STAINLESS STEEL ?
I've always thought that stainless steel was impervious to corrosion. Recently, I was gifted with an engraved "hip flask". On the bottom, stamped "Stainless Steel" right next to the "Made in China "...
13
13

DIY surge protection...
Awl -- On the main breaker box, for the whole house. First Q: Is surge protection strictly lightning-related? Holmes on Homes was emphasizing this, saying $500 wasn't much for the protection it...
94
94

crown molding question- long piece, cut it but joined area has big gap
Hi, i just installed some crown molding in a room very long piece 25-35 feet. I had to cut it in two pieces.. The smaller piece where I cut it is like 2 feet... But when I join it, (like a puzzle...
10
10

Harbor Fright multifunction tool review
Sorry for another thread on this subject, but I just did my first job with this tool and wanted to throw my 2 cents worth out there. I got the old fixed-speed version (for $35--I didn't win the...
4
4

new tile floor vs door clearance
We had our bathrooms re-tiled a few years ago, and now we are noticing that that newer bath mats do not totally clear underneath the door when opening. ie - the bath mat is in front of the vanity, and...
8
8

EPA certified
Remodelers will have to be certified to work with lead if working on homes built before 1978. > Planning to remodel? Unless your home is fairly new, only renovators certified to handle lead will soon...
1
1

Trouble starting Honda generator
I have a Honda EB3000C generator with a Honda GX200 motor. It's only a couple of years old and has very low hours. I decided to drain the fuel and refill with fresh fuel. It had sat for about a year....
30
30

Bathroom Exhaust Fan
Would it work to connect an exhaust fan in bathroom to the main stack (cast pipe)?
8
8

Help with Leak on MAAX whirlpool tub
I have a Maax whirlpool tub. It is new, but no warranty, so I'm trying to fix it myself. When I fill the tub, the union on top of the pump leaks. This connection is hand tightened. I have removed the...
5
5

wall of green
i am thinking about planting some hedges/evergreens that will afford me a bit of anyone suggest a fast growing evergreen that i can plant closely together and that can be trimmed for neatness? not...
6
6

Best Driveway Caulk or Patch??
Hello, My 20+ year old asphalt/tar driveway has 2 large cracks across it. There is one near the beginning of the driveway, and one near the end of the driveway. The cracks are about 5-6 feet long, and...
2
2

Fridge won't fit, need to cut back countertop
Just bought a new fridge that I measured twice in the store to make sure it would fit the fridge alcove. I guess I should have measured three times because when I got it to the house, I found it...
27
27