#14 Romex To Light From #12/20-amp?

Page 2 of 2
On 1/26/14 10:06 AM, Harry K wrote:

The state of Nebraska does though. A homeowner can wire his own stuff. I don't think I could even wire a neighbor's house for free since I don't have a residential license. One can't wire for profit without an appropriate license at least in theory. Inspections aren't required in many areas unless one is replacing the service. There is reciprocity among several states surrounding Nebraska for licensing.
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:30:53 PM UTC-8, Dean Hoffman wrote:

AFAIK _anyone_ can do their own wiring in any state. That they are allowed to do it doesn not speak to doing it right or wrong though.

And when you sell the house, anyone buying without an inspection is a fool.

Again doesn't address the point about NEC code requirements.
Harry K
On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:26:43 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:

Are you implying that a quick once over by the typical home inspector for a sale on what he can easily see is the same as an electrical inspection on the actual work as it was done by the AHJ at the time it was done? If you watched the Holmes shows on TV, he's been in house after house where all kinds of screwed up wiring existed, but a home inspector never saw it because it was hidden behind sheetrock, etc. Having specific work inspected by the electrical inspector and what a home inspector does are very different.

I thought we were discussing the alleged code requirement that says you can't extend a 15 amp circuit that uses 12 gauge wire with 14 gauge. Still waiting for a cite on that.
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 05:26:30 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

did, and passed inspection (theoretically, at least). <...>
On 1/27/2014 1:26 AM, Harry K wrote:

Not true. In NYC (and, I suspect, in a few other cities as well) only a licensed electrician can legally work on wiring, even to do something as simple as replacing a light switch. Of course, no one abides by that regulation demonstrated by the fact that all kinds of electrical parts (switches, outlets, BX cable, etc.) are sold to anyone in the borgs, hardware stores, electrical supply houses, etc.
--
Peace,
bobJ

>> Inspections aren't required in many areas unless one is replacing

Not true. There is nothing that says that licensed electricians do it right, either. I've cleaned up some real messes in my houses, along the way.

So you demand to see a CO for every outlet? That must get interesting.

???
On 1/25/2014 9:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

circuit/breaker, code requires 12 gauge wire. 15 amp requires 14 gauge. Therefore, the 14 gauge would not be code if using on a 20 amp circuit.

And even if you weren't.