Subject Author Posted Replies

AFCI circuit breaker requirements
My understanding is that under the most recent National Electrical Code (NEC 2008?) AFCI circuit breakers are required for all residential circuits -- not just in bedroom circuits. However, I just...
6
6

SINK PLUNGER REMOVAL
I have 3 bathrooms in my house. Occasionally, I have had to snake out the drains in 2 of the bathroom sinks--no problem--lift out the plunger and snake out the hair. Now, my downstairs bathroom sink...
5
5

garage door opener
Chain, belt, or direct drive? Here we go again, this has been talked about in the past. My 25 year old Stanley bit the dust and I'm going to replace it. I see the various drive types, all have models...
10
10

rotten threshold
Four years ago I replaced the rotten threshold of my back door. I took a plank from a pallet, sawed and planed it to fit, caulked, applied two coats of Thompson's sealer, and painted. Before long, the...
19
19

Cave House For Sale
Forgive me if this was already posted; I didn't see it and thought folks here might be interested in checking it out. It's pretty interesting; lots of great pictures and description.
6
6

install outlet on exterior stucco wall
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage. There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan...
24
24

DC Transmission
Awl -- MB Hydro uses DC for transmission from generator sites to converter stations over hundreds of miles. So I emailed them for a few more details, and they wrote back the following:...
2
2

Getting My Bearings
I've been planning to build a windmill to areate my pond for several years now, more for the fun of the building experience as opposed to really needing it. One of the major problems in designing it...
5
5

Lowe's blows
I have been a homeowner, mostly up North for the past 50 some odd years. My family is in the construction business so I know a little about building and maintenance. I have used Ice Melt on my...
138
138

Power to LCD TV
How can i get power out of a receptacle if the existing box is nailed to a stud. How can i get the box out to feed a romex to it & tie it in for the wall mount tv ?
9
9

Solar powered homes and 40 hp cars -- or lack thereof -- as a metaphor.
Awl -- In the recent thread on solar powered homes, which displayed the Natural Divide of opinion on solar power, Salty actually posted an inneresting ditty on solar powered planes. His purpose was,...
22
22

Cycling Well Pump- Odd Findings
I actually got to start work on my GF's pump cycling problem. You will recall I expected to find a waterlogged pressure tank, which I had planned to replace. Here's what I found: (1) The pressure in...
22
22

How to insulate a room "inside" a basement
2 story house with crawlspace located in Portland, Oregon. Crawlspace is a "conditioned" crawlspace. Since the crawlspace is "conditioned", this means that there are no vents to the outside, the...
2
2

Chinese mine flooding March 31st. Rescue efforts.
Roundup: Foreign press lauds China's rescue efforts in coal mine accident Wednesday, April 07, 2010 3:26 AM BEIJING, Apr. 7, 2010 (Xinhua News Agency) -- After more than 190 hours of continuous hard...

washing machine question
This might seem like an odd observation, but here goes. I have one of the new front loading washing machines, and they are supposed to use a lot less water than a conventional washer. If I want to do...
6
6