Subject Author Posted Replies

Low-friction track for sliding 60lb box about 3 feet.
I've got to figure out an easy way to slide a box/enclosure weighing about 60lbs. Got to move about 3 feet, and the box itself is about 3feet long, so I'd need at least 6feet of track. I was thinking...
25
25

Frigidaire dryer heating element replacement; what's the trick?
Has a heating element burn out on me in a Frigidaire Gallery dryer. It was straightforward to replace it. I needed to pull the drum forward to get to the heating element behind it, so I removed the...
2
2

Finally ! A whole-house battery
The battery will provide 26 megawatts of load for 15 minutes or 40 megawatts of power for up to seven minutes. Long enough to get the diesel generators going. It's as big as a soccer field and costs...
1
1

OT: Old comfy shirts
Woe is me. All my favorite winter (mostly flannel) shirts are badly frayed at the top of the collar. They're a little faded, but, aside from the collars, are nice and warm and comfy. I hate to pitch...
15
15

Wiring lights in a drop ceiling
I plan to install several lights in a drop ceiling. Question: Do I need to run MC cable to each light from a covered box centrally located in the room in a star topology, or can I run one MC cable to...
18
18

Lawn Mower Class Action about HP ratings
Received a post card in the mail the other day. It appears a class action about .."misrepresented and overstated the horsepower of their lawn mowers and lawn mower engines. The Defendants deny these...
24
24

PVC roof sewer vent stack okay?
I am getting a new roof installed, but beforehand I will be replacing the cast iron sewer vent stack that is above the roof line with a new one. I am guessing that just extending the new 3-inch PVC...
5
5

plastic eyeglass frames
Not exactly a home, but found in the home. I have an pair of the original Revo sunglasses, the ones actually made by layering dozens of color corrective laser grade coatings as invented by an ex...
39
39

water pressure questions?
My house which is 40 years old has 1/2" copper lines for the water feeds. I have a submersed well pump and a bladder tank who's pressure guage reads 30psi. I also have an exchange filter and a...
6
6

Review of Exotic Hand Tools
From Popular Mechanics. Including: Dead blow hammer Swiss-Grip screwdrivers Tape measure Ratcheting tap handle Really grippy pliers Sometimes, to find just the right tool, you need to look outside the...
1
1

Stain Andersen Patio doors
I intend to buy and install Andersen Sliding Patio doors. My understanding the doors are unstained unfinished pine interior that is usually stained. Does it mean you have to mask the windows glass and...
6
6

PVC Lubricant
I have a 3" dia. PVC pipe I'd like to put into a PVC coupler that looks like a brimmed hat with a hole through the top. I think the coupler is sometimes used for toilets. I'd like to be able to rotate...
19
19

Broken Roof Truss
I was up in the attic today, and noticed that I had a broken roof truss. Not sure how long it's been that way. It didn't look too new. Anyone ever dealt with this? Rather then replacing it, I was just...
23
23

LG dishwashers from Korea - any good?
I went to Home Depot today and saw some LG dishwashers, from Korea. Not cheap, nice looking. Anyone know anything about them, ie are they any good and likely to last at least a few years? Also saw a...
21
21

DAMN the EPA
I just tried to buy my goto weed killer, MSMA today to kill Johnson and especially Dallisgrass. Can't find it anywhere and am told the EPA stopped the manufacturing at the end of Dec 09. I even asked...
44
44