Subject Author Posted Replies

Furring out an interior wall
I have a wall in the bathroom where two third of the length is an exterior wall (concrete block) and one third of it is newly framed interior wall with standard top/bottom plate and studs with 2x4....
5
5

OT Get ready the economy is about to tank:(
The BP oil spill disaster is going to hurt so much of our economy, the spill is going to loop all the way around florida. decimating fishing, beaches tourism etc over perhaps half our coast line. if...
55
55

Installing laminate flooring
I don't have a table saw. Is it possible to rip down the row against the wall with a Jig Saw ?
3
3

ok for hot/cold to mix in shower cutoff valve?
I have a leaking shower (two-handle, washers have been replaced by plumber every few years, still leaks), and I was thinking of just putting a shower cutoff valve on the shower head, the one where you...
8
8

Horizontal studs
Typically, how many horizontal studs were used ca 1965: One near ceiling, one in middle and one near floor? - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist ---{Nothing...
14
14

Regulations Governing Underground Home Heating Oil Tanks
A friend is trying to sell her house. The house has an old steel tank (15 years) that is not leaking. Prospective buyers that come to the house say they were told a bank won't approve a mortgage...
72
72

Trouble with garage door remote
Hi, We have a LiftMaster 3280 that was installed about 4 years ago. It came with a remote that worked fine until at least six months ago. We hardly ever use this remote because our car has built-in...
4
4

dryer with no heat
I have had dryer problem before. That was an easy problem to solve. I removed the heating element and then measured the resistance. It turned out to be infinite. That means the heating element was...
11
11

General Electric 47 frame motor
I'm looking for specs for an obsolete 47 frame motor, specifically, I'm trying to find the shaft size. Any help is appreciated, Roy
7
7

Follow-up on and questions about fluorescent that won't turn off.
Well, I had more time on Friday to look at my friend's basement fluorescent fixture that stayed partly lit when the switch was off. I was wrong when I said that there was no reason the electrician...
3
3

Hard to Start Stihl FS 36 Trimmer?
I've had Subject trimmer for ten years, and of late it has been hard to start. I've probably yanked on the cord about 80 times this morning, and a few times it sputters and dies. I've had it in choke...
33
33

Resolution to fluorescent fixture problem
I bought an FS-4 starter today. Things started looking good when I removed the glow bulb from the can and it looked to be the same dimensions as the faulty glow bulb I originally removed. I soldered...
6
6

Wall wart beeping?
Starting yesterday, there has been a beeping sound in my home office, one half-second, every four seconds. What is it? If you don't know, maybe you know if an AC adapter, a wall wart can beep? It...
17
17

Easy sanding primer revisited
A couple of weeks ago I posted asking for suggestions for a wood primer that sanded very easily, dried fast and built up well. There were a number of suggestions but the one that sounded best to me...

metric carpenter's tape
Twenty years ago I bought a Craftsman tape marked in mm on both edges. It was so much easier and more reliable than fractions for reading and remembering measurements that I bought a spare....
30
30