Subject Author Posted Replies

Overhead door falls back down after opening
Overhead Legacy: When the door opens it sometimes falls back down part way. It hits "top" then bounces back down rather than stopping in fully open position. I have had it serviced twice (spring...
14
14

Painting Pressure Treated Wood
I replaced the front stairs, using pressure treated wood. How long do I have to wait before painting? I figure I should let it dry out over the summer and paint in the fall. I read that there's...
4
4

Replacing a sill plate
We have water damage from a leaking sink drain inside a kitchen wall. Unfortunately it went on for a while and the sill is rotten which allowed the floor joists to sink and well... you get the idea....
5
5

storm windows?
We have single glass windows throughout the house. Darn things are drafty in winter. I'm thinking of adding storm windows on outside. Idea being that this gives us some "dead" insulation space between...
33
33

How strict are egress inspectors?
So... classic story of "measure twice, cut once". I installed an egress window well myself. The hole for the window has not been cut (I am subcontracting that). So for the past week I have been...
11
11

Filing in gap in cement backer board for tub surround
Hi all: I just finished installing cement backer board around my tub. In just about every spot I got (more or less) the required 1/8" gap between board edges. However, in one corner where a horizontal...
3
3

Digital Thermostat Keeping Wrong Temperature
Hi - We've a digital thermostat for our geothermal unit. Yesterday, we decided to kick on central air. The thermostat says it's 28 degrees F, which is about 45 degrees off. Also this thermostat has...
5
5

Kitchen cabinet side fillers?
I've got a set of kitchen cabinets that I want to move to a new location. Would it be hard to find the filler, side panels to fit the new area which is about 8" wider then the old location. I don't...
6
6

Adjusting Storm Door Closures
I just installed a storm door this weekend. The door came from the manufacturer (ProVia) with dual closures, one for the top and one for the bottom. Here's the issue: I can adjust the closures to...
28
28

Repairing in wall sillcock
The 25 year old faucet in my backyard is near failure. It squeaked when turned and it's not a metalic squeak, but twisting-the-cork-off-a-bottle kind of squeak, and water drips out of the handle at...
9
9

foundation sill plate
------------------------------------- I have water damage to part of my foundation sill plate. This was caused by the brick deteriating, then getting water behind it. Can this problem be patched?
1
1

Lawn tractor starting problem
OK, am I go crazy here or what? My neighbor has a Sears riding mower, maybe 7 years old, that starting more than a year ago would not always start. The symptom was he's turn the key and either: It...
33
33

Sike Products For Home Concrete Repairs Vs Quikrete's ?
Hello, Have tried the Quikrete concrete repair products, a bunch of different ones, including the additives for, for small concrete repairs around our steps, etc several times. Have always been...
3
3

OT: Customer forum for Nissan?
Anybody know of a customer forum for Nissan autos? I looked, but could only find paid forums, where they offer advice for a price. I want to find out approx what a tune-up would cost for a 1999 Nissan...
11
11

Wiremold in a garage
I installed an outlet several feet from an existing outlet using NON metallic wiremold in a residential finished (plasterboard) GARAGE, which is an integral part of the house. The cable used was romex...
8
8