Subject Author Posted Replies

Lint filter for washing machine drain
I would like to add a lint filter to the drain on my washing machine. I've found a few but all state they are for use with drains running into a laundry sink and NOT standpipe drains. My washing...
32
32

Ping John Grabowski
Hi, John..posted this discussion a few weeks ago and it was suggested I contact you, since you're in Jersey and may be able to tell me what to expect as an estimate...
9
9

Gap Under GarageDoor
I have a 2.5" gap under on small area of my double garage door. I can't seem to find a bottom door sealer over 1.5" thick. Where can I find a garage door "foam material" that will be 2.5" thick and...
7
7

advice on table top finish
I have a dining table top with a repaired veneer finish. It has had three coats of waterbased Ronseal called 'Diamond hard varnish' put onto to it. Trouble is, that if water is not wiped off staight...
7
7

Tapcon screws & concrete block?
I'm going to be building some heavy duty shelves in the basement, attached to concrete block. The horizontal supports will be 2x4s, with 5/8 material for shelves. My plan was to attach the 2x4s to the...
8
8

Hot porch roof revisited
Last fall I posted about how hot the porch roof gets and radiates the heat down so it's hot as hell under the porch. It's 10' x 24', no circulation problem, the porch is all open, just railing around...
2
2

Lightening strike neaby -- some damage
We had a near lightening strike that sent a surge though the power lines. Not sure where the hit was, but I did have some damage. My wife called me at work after a thunderstorm and said she saw a big...
31
31

Lynx Garage Door Opener - Friction Trip?
I have an old Lynx overhead door opener controlling a double width wood garage door. When left to close on its own, at about the half-closed point, it stops and opens, as if it has hit something. I...
1
1

OT - Free donut day
Are you ready for some fun? Enjoy a FREE DONUT with any beverage purchase* and celebrate National Donut Day at Dunkin' Donuts. It's one day only, so make sure to RSVP so you don't forget. It's going...
5
5

HVAC blower weirdness
Good morning, I've got some weirdness with my forced hot air furnace blower when the HVAC goes on. Thought you all might have some input before I either attempt to fix it or call a tech. Here are the...
8
8

The Hurricane list is out - how do you prepare for one outside the "zone?"
The Hurricane center has predicted a much greater than usual season with the possibility of several cat 5 storms. While I am substantially inland, the recent issues with a sick tree have made me...
28
28

Portable Air Conditioners - Hoses
Most portable ACs come with less than 5 foot hoses. Can additional lengths of hose be added with the same results? ------------ There are no atheists in foxholes or in Fenway Park in an extra inning...
4
4

Drain on WH at a supply line
Ok, here's my situation. I am installing a utility sink in the basement. The house is all PEX, so there should be no problem tapping into the lines which are about 7' away. But, today I was thinking...
15
15

Basic Grounding Wire Question in Receptacle Box - Please Help.
Hi. I'm replacing an old switch for a ceiling fan that only had 2 wires; a black and a white. The new switch has 3 wires, a black, white and a green grounding wire. The wire coming into the receptacle...
28
28

diminished water pressure after repair
Dirt/debris in the line????