Subject Author Posted Replies

What length screw to use?
I'm attaching 2 x 4s to the studs in a finished garage. Finished with 1/2" drywall. Are 3" screws long enough, I have a bunch leftover from a different project? The 2 x 4s will be holding 5/8 plywood...
27
27

orbital sanders
Do 8" electrical orbital sanders exist? I've been unable to find any on-line?
2
2

Snake oil water softener
I heard a radio ad for this water softener product, and checked it out. It smells a lot like snake oil to me, and at a high price. Anyone have any experience or opinion? Thanks, Bob-tx
10
10

Free rusted bolt in only 11 steps
From Popular Mechanics
12
12

Making your own control cable
I have a Troy Bilt lawnmower which requires a control cable known as "wheel Speed Adjusting cable", which is basically a cable to control the self propelled speed. This mower is about 16 years old,...
14
14

I want to build a tower 50 feet in the air.
Because I live near a river, I want to make sure I'm safe in the event of a major flood. I plan to build a tower and want the floor of my tower 50 feet off the ground. I will not attach it to the...
17
17

Living without a garbage disposal
A month or so ago I made a post here about my broken in-sink garbage disposal. A good number of replies to that post were from people who do not use a garbage disposal. Well, for a couple reasons, I...
26
26

Need LED based camping lighst but based on power tool battery packs
I HATE things where the rechargeable battery is sealed up in the unit.... or a bunch of D cells to remove I want a rechargeable bright camping light whereby the Li Ion battery packs slips and locks on...
17
17

Is this a fair price for fixing a leak in the central air unit?
Hello, I just had my central air unit recharged with refrigerant and a leak was found in a very accessible area, on the discharge tube. The repairman said he would fix the leak for $450. He said it...
5
5

Removing a polish smell
Mix a 20/80 spray of distilled white vinegar/distilled water and wipe down the plastic surfaces. You can use this solution in a hand-held carpet shampoo machine (use one that can extract water) for...
1
1

Replacing the batteries in rechargeable battery packs
I've read a lot here about replacing the batteries in rechargeable battery packs, but always about portable power tools. Is it also possible to do this with battery packs for laptop computers? A...
14
14

Dusk to dawn fluorescent lighting
Hello, Are dusk to dawn fluorescent lights good? I've attempted to use fluorescent lights in my front porch light that, I think was originally meant for incandescent lights. When I used a CFL type...
6
6

Should I get a programmable thermostat for an electric heat pump central air system?
Hello, I have the opportunity to get a programmable thermostat for my house, the idea is to set it to lower the heat / AC during the day when nobody is home. However my system is a electric powered...
20
20

Garbage Disposal Air Lock
I have something strange going on with my disposal. When I pour a bucket full of water or even when I'm simply trying to drain the sink, the drainage is very slow (without the garbage disposal...
6
6

Identifying a Faucet
Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of this faucet? It needs some work, and I cannot get it apart. (The left handle will not come off of the valve.)
20
20