Subject Author Posted Replies

Understanding a Recoil Starter
I recently had a recoil starter on a very old Tecumseh fly apart, that is, the screw that held the dog housing loosened up and fell out. All the parts were retrieved, and I reassembled the parts in...
2
2

What's in brown pressure-treated wood?
Just bought some PT lumber today. Both Home Despot and the local lumberyard had the same stuff: dark brown. Looks kinda nice, actually, kinda like it's pre-stained. (Didn't buy at Home Despot 'cause...
3
3

old work 1900 box w/ ext ring?
This is actually a work related question, but I figured it couldn't hurt to throw this out because some of you guys may have run into a similar situation in the past... I need 140 of these so getting...
7
7

Need Centrifugal Blower Wheel
I have a Samsung SMV-260UA motor-blower that I am using for my heatolator style fireplace. The original motor-blower died several years ago, and the manufacturer is out of business as far as I can...
8
8

Sevin powder applicator ideas
Rochester, NY area has some new breed of wasps. Gentle readers may remember that I was looking for spray, last fall, for the wasps which burrow into the sides of my church building. Several different...
27
27

OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?
This question is about the decision process involved with replacing the timing belt in a vehicle "now" or "later". Let's not confuse the issue with cost or voiding warranties, etc. Let's assume there...
108
108

Acrylic windows
I currently have vinyl windows on my (Florida) porch. I've heard that the latest acrylic windows are pretty good and I was thinking about replacing the vinyl windows with them. Has anyone used the...
43
43

No Drip Caulk Guns- Do They Work??
Looking for your experiences. Thanks. Frank
23
23

Detached garage sub panel question
Situation is: A residential home with a detached garage has a sub panel which is serviced from a 50A breaker located in the main breaker box. This service feed is approximately 20'. The house has a...
26
26

what screws for rotted step
I've got a front porch with one soft step from water damage. I want to quickly put down a layer of plywood temporarily so it can be walked on without caving, until I get the chance to completely redo...
2
2

toilet: after installation questions
just put in the new Kohler Wellworth 1) do I need shims? The installer of the previous toilet did a super job on making the floor even and level. So the new toilet does not rock and is level. However,...
5
5

keeping mortar damp
A few weeks ago I used mortar to patch spots on my front steps. In the next three days I misted it several times with a pump-up sprayer, but the surface would dry between sprayings. I have two...
3
3

Carpenter or Computer Operator?
Alan Blinder, a Princeton professor and former Federal Reserve vice chairman, says it won't be surprising years from now if a carpenter in the U.S. earns more than a college-educated computer...
24
24

Ceiling fan install and wiring Q
I started what I thought would be medium difficulty project and now on stumped. I wanted to install a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. There currently are no ceiling lights, just a wall switch which...
19
19

Pergo End-2-End EDGES?????
We are part way thru with a major remodel in our house and we picked up a load of nice Pergo and have done two back rooms in the house. We are getting ready to start the main part of the house (great...