$135 per foot?

I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good ballpark cost figure to use for rough estimating on a remodeling job. For example, I am adding a 1 story 8'x8' room to my house, so

8x8x135=$8,640 ballpark cost. Or, I am redoing a 10'x15' kitchen, so 10x15x135=$20,250.

My question is: Does this number include things like appliances, or is it generally just construction materials and labor?

Reply to
Y-Town

buffalobill

well since a bedroom doesn't require appliances, and it supposedly costs the same to remodel as a kitchen, appliances must not be included. your number is the roughest of ballparks. think of it. remodel a kitchen with new counters, flooring, cabinetry, etc for the same square foot cost as a carpeted bedroom? how could that be?

Reply to
marson

call your local building inspector they can give a ball park estimate, the more sweat equity the better for lower price.

I like doing wiring and have traded my helping friends with their wiring for some of their efforts here, like brick laying.

so if you have some skills and good friends you can save big bucks:)

Reply to
hallerb

I would not call the first example a "remodel". I'd call it an additon. And I if adding that room means everything from the foundation up, $8600 sounds very low. And the second example shows the problem with a fixed ballpark cost, because remodeling a kitchen is very different than remodeling a bedroom.

I would say $135/ft is in the ballpark for new construction of an average two story 3000 sqft house, using typical grade materials that you see in new subdivisions here in NJ. But that is for a whole house, where it's easier to make an overall comparison, because there is a lot in common. Even then, that number could probably drop to $115 on the low end, or be taken to $200+ by adding more tile, custom woodwork, high end appliances, energy efficient heating/cooling, special windows, high end plumbing fixtures, etc....

Now, since the bedroom in your example is all new, why isn't $135 a good number? I'd say it's going to be higher than that because first it's a much smaller job than a whole new house. Second, it involves more work dealing with tieing it into the existing structure, as compared to starting with a clean slate.

Reply to
trader4

I think you need to get some prices. There is no way a kitchen can cost the same as a bedroom. There are so many Variables. Cook top can be from $400 to $3000. Carpet verses hardwood , Formica Granite. The best thing to do is sit down and think out what you really want. List every thing you can think off , Maybe you want a electrical outlet in an odd spot this is the kind of thing they charge you threw the nose for. Extras that's a big money maker so pre planning is essential. Then get some hard prices. Always check for a contractors license call the state contractors board check them out. SEE PROOF of liability and workmen's comp insurance. References take them for what there worth, no ones is going forward an unhappy customer, But you can ask to see some completed jabs or some in progress. Butt do remember any job large or small will have problems. One more thing let the Contractor get the Subs let him assume responsibility for them, I guarantee you don't want to start dealing with them or Passing the Buck will be all to real.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Using square foot estimates for building is like using the weight of a car as an estimate of it's price.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you think a bedroom does not require appliances you have never met my girlfriend.

Reply to
tmurf.1

I'd wait a few months. With the housing market crashing, contractors may soon be begging for work.

Reply to
CJT

I think they already are. I saw a heating/ac truck going down my street putting fliers in the mailboxes. Haven't seen that in a long time.

Reply to
trader4

The counter top alone cost 15,000.

Reply to
DK

Not everybody uses gold plated countertops.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

$135/sqft is probably a fairly good ballpark for a new addition to a home - but that wouldn't generally include appliances or even cabinets for a kitchen unless the contractor had a 'base' style he was using. A room as small as 8x8 may end up costing you more since the Contractor has to build in some base costs for getting his equipment and crew there. We added a

20x20 room at $150/sqft. We also remodeled the 12x12 kitchen it was gone next to, and that cost more than the new room!

Reply to
Mark

The answer is yes, not, definitely, and maybe. We spent $40,000 to remodel

280 sf of kitchen. New marble, new appliances, custom cabinets, travertine, nice stuff all of it. That was $142.85 per sf.

Your figure of $135 should get you a decent remodel.

We had some extras, too. We took out the drop ceiling, and moving a wall involved putting in a beam. Lots of rewiring, too. We had to cut the concrete to put the sink a little farther from where it was.

$135 is realistic. You get what you pay for. You can save money by going with lesser countertops, cabinets, and appliances. Although, they wanted more for HD cabinets than a friend of mine did the customs for. Go figger.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And square foot prices can really only be calculated AFTER the fact.

Unless, you get a per square foot for say, framing, or sheet rock hanging, or painting.

Remodels and redos don't work like that.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"CJT" wrote

I doubt it. Good competent contractors don't beg for work. Derelicts and fugitives do. And the competent contractors you want to do a special remodel are not busy slamming together cookie cutter houses using alien help. In my market the good guys are busy for months out. What's left is the dregs, derelicts, and fugitives.

And the dishonest.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"DK" wrote

That would depend totally on the square footage, wouldn't it? Mine was far less, looks exquisite, and I'm happy as can be with the materials and workmanship. Around $6k IIRC.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I'd say $135/sf is reasonable, depending on a lot of things.

If you are > I have seen in a number of different places that $135/sf is a good

Reply to
Pat

Nice, I'm booked for the next year and at this point in my life I only do high end stuff and those folks have money even in tight times. I only do custom and I do it myself. So yes wait for the scum bags to come out of the woodwork if that's what kind of job you want.

RV

Reply to
Evo

Well that only goes to the fact you might not being doing what you should be doing.

Reply to
Evo