Subject Author Posted Replies

Buzzing from outside AC unit - outside fan is running
Hi - we have a typical home AC system - ours is a Ruud - the model number on the outside unit is UAKA- 037JAZ. It's been very hot here in Texas - over 100 all day long, but the system is working OK...
21
21

What to do with a 100' tower?
I'm thinking of buying a property that was once the sight for a local dish satellite system. My first concern is liability, although it seems very well built and there is no rust through the...
74
74

Weekend project: Cat box furniture
(In case the pictures are gone: Looks like a night stand but houses kitty's litter box) http://houston.craigslist.org/hsh/1849508149.html
1
1

Craftman Cordless Drill
My wife bought me a 19.2 volt craftsman drill 5 or 6 years ago. I use it regularly and love it. I added the small circular saw and the small vacuum a few years later. Both work well for occassional...
21
21

Air Conditioning Plumbing Question
Hello, Have a forced hot air heating system, where the duct work is also used for the house air conditioning. Pretty typical setup: Condenser is outside the house, of course, and has two pipes running...
8
8

Pool filtration -- fine dust
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It...
15
15

Best Automatic Utility Pump?
We live in a garden-level condo in a brick rowhouse built in the 1850's (we're in Boston, so everything's old). Our lower level is actually subterranean, with only one window to the outside via a...
10
10

French Drains, Best Cover Material?
I'm putting in a 1'x1' french drain around the side of my house, and I'm wondering what would be the best material would be to cover the top few inches of the trench. The soil around here is mostly...
13
13

O.T. How to mix yellow, cyan, magenta refill ink to get black/brown?
I have a lot of extra yellow, cyan, and magenta ink left over from refilling inkjet cartridges. Any idea of the proportions of each I should mix to get brown/black ink?
6
6

looking to use an old manual drill fwith sockets
I have an old handcrank drill (see link for similiar style) was thinking of trying to use it with some socket wrenchs. I'm not sure what this type of drill is called. I've always called it an auger...
24
24

Lawn mower parts online?
Can anyone suggest their favorite online source where I can get a couple idler pulleys for belts, and some bearings for the blade spindles for an Exmark 52" Metro. The dealer isn't too far away but...
4
4

Found an instant on compat fluorescent bulb
I found a Philips Marathon 23 watt compact fluorescent that is instant on, just as fast as you turn the switch, the light is on and at least 90% of final brightness. I don't know if this is a fluke or...

Can someone explain how to use a level-hose
I know there's a way to use a clear hose full of water to level a building. I'm trying to level a 50 foot long trailer house. Rather than buying 60 feet of clear hose (at almost a buck a foot), I'll...
14
14

Freeware volume calculator for irregularly shaped pool
What good is calculus if nobody practically uses it. My pool has an uneven bottom (shallow and deep and varying greatly). All pool-volume calculators I can find assume a gently sloping bottom (and...
20
20

Toilet Flange too high
For some reason, the builder put in the toilet flanges in my 5 bathrooms so that the top of the flange sticks up 3/4" above the tile floor. The toilets he put in apparently had a deeper inset and did...
6
6