Subject Author Posted Replies

rotted porch
I have a New Orleans style porch which has rotten wood which I am removing. There are three sections. The ground level porch is all right and made from brick. The second level (the New Orleans porch)...
5
5

Who installs shower grab bars and shower seats
An elderly friend is in the hospital and has asked me to find someone (she prefers a business over a handyman) who can come to her condo and give her an estimate for installing a shower grab bar and a...
21
21

Man tried to hit his landlord with his van
?A Tulsa man has bonded out of jail after he was arrested early Wednesday morning on a complaint of assault with a dangerous weapon. Tulsa Police say 28-year-old Jesse Thornhill tried to run down his...
17
17

improve cooling to the bedroom
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house. Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is...
27
27

irrigation pump help
I'm looking for advice on an irrigation pump. Our neighborhood well has capacity issues and we would like to use the lake for our drip irrigation system. Since it's a drip system I only need about...
9
9

P-Trap Cunundrum
Hi hope that someone from this excellent group can help with this one. It's sure got me scratching my head. We have a main-floor laundry room with a sink in our two story home. The washer drains into...
22
22

Am I imagining this or has anyone else noticed it also.
It seems to me that during the past ten years or so patching plaster is setting a lot faster and roofing cement is drying and cracking a lot sooner. I=92m talking about the common plaster and roofing...
10
10

A $5 part *****kills***** a $4000 Generac generator
I personally installed a Generac natural gas stand-by generator 5 years ago, after a freak October ice storm knocked out electricity in this area for nearly 2 weeks. The Generac has worked flawlessly...
50
50

Hillbilly HRV
Hillbilly HRV I had my house insulation upgraded and some leaks sealed. I'd like to do more sealing, but will need some external ventilation. I read that, for a well-insulated house, 40% of the heat...
2
2

Installing 1/4" plywood
I am patching an area of kitchen floor where a cabinet was removed. The vinyl floor has 1/4" plywood underlayment. To add 1/4" plywood to the area what size & type screw should i use ?
3
3

OT: Homeowners Ins.
Little brick bungalow in midwest US, quiet neighborhood, 100% garden-variety HO policy. I've had 2 vehicles and the house insured with State Farm for 10+ years. Never had an at-fault claim against...
51
51

Sealing around pipes (through vents)
The outside of my home has numerous air vents to the crawl space. These are covered with a wire mesh/grill to keep out vermin etc. So far, so good. However, a couple of these vents have some pipes...
6
6

Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question
I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road vehicles. I don't see that it's all that much of a...
142
142

Mitsubishi Mini-Split Ductless Air Conditioner
I am seriously considering the purchase of a 2 ton Mitsubishi ductless air conditioner (MR-series, called "Mr. Slim") and am wondering if anyone has any opinions of this equipment based on actual...
14
14

Cracked skylight
My kitchen skylight is cracked and leaking. The transparent part appears to be an inverted clear plastic box mounted over a wood box. No idea who installed it, as it was on the house when I bought it...
6
6