Subject Author Posted Replies

another cartoon for the group
Hope this link keeps working past midnight... another one to try: (The black&white version) http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=b2361e23dfd539367d841e265ffe7511&w=450.0...
1

Seeking advice on insulating a floor from the crawlspace below.
I have to insulate the floor in an older ranch house. It will be done from underneath, which is a crawl space. (Ugh.) Anyway, considering the usual array of pipes, electrical wires, and cross-bracing...
13
13

The working man wins where it counts in the end... this article is on that topic.
The collapse phase lasts 2 generations or so. A closer look shows that its way worse than it appears on the surface... The current situation is a moral outrage.... and unsustainable, govt pay and...
1
1

Amenities found in upscale homes
I have a lifelong background in real estate and am now retired. I'd enjoy discussing the differences in upscale single family residences found in various parts of the country, if anyone is interested....
13
13

Mixer Motors
Don't ever buy a motor without seeing it run. Don't ask me how I know. I have an older style cement mixer. The bowl is 24" diameter at its widest, and 24" deep, although conical somewhat. It has a big...
6
6

Storing A/C intake filters
Hi Do filters store well when wrapped in plastic? If buying a six pack and each filter lasts 60 days, that's three year's worth. Will they keep for three years? Thanks, Sam
14
14

FiltersFast
Hi, Do filters vary in quality? Will I be disappointed if I buy filters for Theirs are much cheaper than Filtrete and they claim that they are more efficient. What's the downside? Thanks! Sam
11
11

Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger
Caught a show called Time Warp on Discovery last night. never seen the show before. Couple of guys do extremely high speed video of all kinds of things. 1000fps 10,000fps range. They had the guy with...
106
106

Running Romex and attic rafters?
I'm helping a friend on a project and he needs to run Romex from an existing outlet to a new location about 20 ft away in an attic. The attic is accessed via stairs, contains a furnace/AC, and has...
3
3

CORRECTION: OT If you grow your own food read this.
read "Landowners pollute their soil with Dow chemicals" And there's a very good reason for it: Dow makes the best chemicals. The market has decided....

Corrugated fiberglass sheet and white transparent corrugated sheet
What is the difference between corrugated fiberglass sheet and white transparent corrugated sheet? Are the specification of the materials same?
3
3

Suspended Shelving Units
After the rain we recently had here in the Chicago area, I have decided that I want to put in the suspended basement shelves that I have intended for many years. I know I could make a set in a variety...
8
8

What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)
From a prior thread, it appears that taps and dies do exist for standard USA garden hose thread; but one needs to know the exact size of the GHT which seems to be an openly held secret. Can we confirm...
35
35

Dishwasher Rack Longevity
I have a question or two about dishwasher racks. We installed an inexpensive ($400) Maytag into an apt kitchen 3.5 years ago. The tenant just moved out and a dozen tines are either gone or split with...
37
37

Vent/Air intake for heater room
I am in the process of closing in (building walls around) a basement heater room. The room will contain 3 gas heating furnaces (80,000 BTU's each) and 3 gas hot water heaters (30 gallons each -- I...
5
5