Subject Author Posted Replies

Insect Schadenfreude
"The man was summoned by his wife to deal with a spider ... Not being able to reach it, the man decided to kill it by spraying it with the can. "However he was unable to see whether it was dead ... At...

The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.
I'm in HD's home town and have watched them for quite some time. I've noticed that HD is going through a new phase. They had been going through one of being more friendly but not any better otherwise....
74
74

finishing a north-facing garage door
I've really learned a lot about wood finishes lately, in particular in restoring them. I thank all for comments. Sometimes I don't show the proper respect of following up until an issue is resolved,...
6
6

Weird stuff -- update -- (was Electronic Kenmore refrigerator not working, what does this sign mean)
Things are getting weirder and weirder. My original post is at the bottom. I have received the replacement relay and capacitor today. Installed them (it was a 2 minute job). Plugged in the fridge. The...
29
29

Edger battery
I have this trimmer/edger which here in the east is most likely going to be utilized for the Summer only. In the remaining 10 months, what happens by non usage with the rechargeable battery? The...
7
7

retaining wall
i am planning on building a retaining wall using 4x4 PT lumber. since some of the wood will be in contact with soil i'm thinking of applying some roof cement to the wood that will be touching dirt to...
8
8

Origin of Home Depot
Yes, I know many, if not most of us are not fond of Home Despot for reasons not to go into here. But I ran across an interesting article about how the place got started -- a tribute to a smart,...
13
13

Bad tires---front or back
Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear...
120
120

New Homeowner Woes - But they get a new kitchen!
A young couple recently bought the house across the street from me. It's a 1940-ish colonial. They moved back from another state and were living with Mom while they did some work on the house. They...
3
3

shrub damage to house wall
Do these shrubs so close to a house wall pose any future problems for the house brickwork? for advice. http://tinypic.com/r/2sbtyz5/7
18
18

Electrolux washing machine squealing
I worked on an Electrolux washing machine yesterday. Top load machine, fairly new. Customer complaint of squealing, at high speed. Turning the drum by hand (from inside the machine) produces no noise....
8
8

Caste Iron Drain
I have a '29 house that I'm working on the kitchen drain. There are a whole series of ~ 2.4 " (OD) cast iron elbows that come out of the wall and flow into the main line. What I'd like to do is...
13
13

Remodeling Question
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small. Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and was wondering what to do. Would you eliminate one sink, or...
42
42

Flashing a Stone Chimney
Got a log house here, with a stone masonry fireplace and chimney. Chimney leaks because it's never been sealed to the roofing with anything other than tar (asphalt) Never been flashed. Watched some...
4
4

When did they start putting dampers in chimneys?
When did they start putting dampers in chimneys? At one time fireplace chimneys went straight to the top with nothing interfering, right? But my fireplace chimney has a damper, which I use to keep the...
26
26