Subject Author Posted Replies

12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?
I was shopping in Lowes tonight for a basic toilet to replace an old one we have in a rental. The original one in the rental is 10" rough when I measured from the flange studs to the wall. Lowes only...
24
24

How often?
Ok, here's a smelly subject. How often should a toilet be flushed? By this I mean, after every use? With the price of water & sewage bill, which reaches near $100 per month for a household of 3. I say...
26
26

hole in bottom coil of condensor coil, can it be repaired
My 5 ton R22 Heil (~5-10yr old) gave up in the form of a hole in the bottom-most condensor coil. The hole is about 1/8" in diameter and there is some oil around it but not much that couldn't be...
12
12

Storing garden hoses and extension cords?
There must be a better way! I neatly coil my hose or cords and hang them from a support for storage. When I unwind them, they invariably get twisted and eventually, they kink. Short of using cord/hose...
16
16

Weird Electrical Problem
I have a main power box outside with two 50-amp breakers and one 30-amp breaker. A voltage test shows 120 volts passing through them. Three of my six 20 amp breakers in the inside box are not...
19
19

A "more-liquid" clear sealant (for countertop)?
I have a new Formica-type/laminate kitchen countertop. Rather than it being a post-formed one piece construction, it is made where the backsplash is a separate piece that is glued to the countertop....
3
3

Roofing Cement or Construction Adhesive for Lifted Shingle?
It's been my observation that roofing cement doesn't have much adhesive quality at least for awhile after application. I need to cement down a tab where the tab is bent upward slightly and would like...
4
4

How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz...
82
82

finishing a north-facing garage door II
couple of questions regarding the above. q1) Does it make sense to use a stripper to get off all the old product on this surface? q2) The second photo shows the worst part of the door. (I do have a...
6
6

How to clean out compressor tank
Hi, I just bought a large air tank on ebay to use with my air compressor. The guy said I should wash it out though before I use it. I'm kinda worried about what kind of chemicals might be in it since...
11
11

threshold in, solid as a rock, thanks
got a really good finish on this threshold, and I think my calculus for creating the color matches the other ones. I'll put on a skirt on the bottom tomorrow, but otherwise, it's done. Still accepting...
6
6

ultimate foundation failure
Ok, here is a long story, but one I find interesting. about 7 years ago, when I was still in High School, a group of students went to a house that had been empty and abandoned for about 45 years. I...
31
31

YIKES !!!!!!!
The six foot by five foot nest in Southampton, Hants, was 15 times bigger than the UK average and home to up to half a million wasps.

Water lingering in washing machine
I have a 13 year old GE washer. When I jiggle the agitator around a bit I hear water sloshing around below. No water is seen in the basket, it seems like not all the water is being pumped out of the...
12
12

When eye, ear protection is not enough
Yeah, but what happened to him AFTER the shock?
8
8