Subject Author Posted Replies

removing thompson's water seal.
I have an old, weathered door that I'm working on, and on which I put a coat of thompson's water seal at my client's request. Now I want to go a different direction. Has anyone successfully taken...
4
4

Last Day! harbor freight cordless drill
anyone own one of these? I'm curious how good or bad the batteries are? Do they list an Amp Hour rating? I don't care much if the drill is junk, just the batteries. At that price I'm thinking of...
9
9

toe kick idea
Since I have little real world remodeling experience I like to run my "concepts" by someone else! The kitchen (1929 house, not level floor) is getting redone with euro style cabinets I'll be making,...
7
7

Doorbell intercom systems? ? ?
I'd welcome hearing the experience of anyone who has recently installed a doorbell/intercom system which utilizes the existing landline telephone in the house. I'm especially interested in the cost --...
7
7

Junction Box Trouble Part II
I posted about a week ago that I had found a junction box with five wires going to it behind the bathtub in the second floor bathroom I am remodeling. I was able to completely remove three of the...
8
8

Hand tools -- Store with Spring compressed -- or not?
I very seldom use "garden pruners," that's the wife's problem.... But, I was putting away a pair of expensive Swiss pruners that she left on the picnic table this afternoon and I automatically...
2
2

Incandescent garage bulb turns off immediately after being turned on
I have a light fixture in my garage, and when I put a normal incandescent light bulb in it, I cannot reliable turn the light on. That is, when I flick the switch to "on", I can see the bulb turn on...
27
27

Finding stud on a masonry wall
I bought this Stanley stud finder and trying to locate a stud on an old masonry wall. I did as the instructions said ....slide slowly in a horizontal position with the activation button depressed. I...
17
17

I'm "shopping" for home insurance
I recently got my renewal notice for insurance for my residence. This time, I am NOT gonna live with the annual price increase, even tho the value of the residence has gone down. Soooo, I'm going to...
9
9

Dryer -- Too much LINT getting through to vent
A typical Whirlpool electric clothes dryer. The long skinny lint screen pulls out from the top of the dryer -- a Type I dryer as my two household repair books call it. Awhile back the lint screen tore...
19
19

Snow Blower Operation Question
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power train. Can the transmission be shifted from one forward...
14
14

Finishing for exterior wood fence
Hi folks, what do you think of the Watco Exterior Wood Finish? I have roughly 20 wood fence panels and with the exception of one section I can't get at both sides, was looking at this. I planned to...

OSB work deck treatment
I'm moving my "wood shop" into a new covered space. The floor will be OSB. It seems to me that I have options on the treatment of the OSB floor. I can stain/paint it or cover it with something else....
9
9

Car door ding
Has anyone used a dent remover from auto parts stores & do they work ?
18
18

Exterior House Painting: Do You Need a Primer?
Do you need a primer when putting white latex house paint over white latex house paint?
9
9