12v bulb ID needed

A guy looked at a 12v bulb socket in one of my tools and told me I need a generic 1056 bulb.

I've searched all over with Google, Froogle, Ebay, Radio Shack, JC Whitney, etc, and can't find anything on a 1056 bulb. He talked like they're common.

Anyone know where I find one? My socket looks a bit worn, so I'd like to get a new socket too.

Reply to
rb

Stubby

That is a common auto bulb. You can find it at the auto parts store. They would probably sell sockets too.

Reply to
Mikepier

}}} That is a common auto bulb {{{

That's what my friend said. I tried Auto Zone and Advance Auto, in addition to searching many other sources, and can't get one hit on a 1056 bulb. Wonder why? Is it me, or is there a gap in the search world out there? I did my seaching last nite and this morning earlier. Now I'm off to Auto Zone to SEE if it's there.

Reply to
rb

tnom

ed Auto Zone and Advance Auto, in addition

Your friend may have meant to say 1156, which is a very common single=20 filiment auto bulb.

Reply to
volts500

I think the others have hit on the answer--your "guy" tried to impress and misspoke the actual number. Just take the bulb with you to your nearest auto parts store and they'll match it.

Most will have the number stamped on the base altho I've noted some of the really cheap Chinese stuff recently has only a screened number on the glass which can disappear w/ time... :(

Reply to
dpb

I google for: 1056 "miniature lamps"

An early hit is:

The line that has 1056 also mentions 1156 - a common backup light bulb that is available in all decent auto parts stores, probably also Target and K-Mart.

If the socket looks like one that an 1156 would fit into, I say go for it - with one second thought:

The 1056/1156 draws 2.1 amps - a lot for a 12V bulb on a power tool. I think more reasonable is the 93 bulb, which draws about half that, also widely available at auto parts stores and in some hardware stores since a few desk lamps use 93 bulbs! Same base and socket as 1156!

Back to the drawing board if a 93 won't fit!

As for replacement socket - if the bulb is one available at an auto parts store, perhaps a socket is available for maybe $10 and probably not quite the same in terms of fit and mounting! I would try to clean off corrosion with really fine sandpaper or the like!

Don Klipstein

This differs from the 1156 by having a double contact base!

Where I found:

This was an early hit on a Google search for: 1056 "miniature lamps"

I do suggest that you probably won't go wrong by much if you use a 94, which I have found at Pep Boys before.

Although one more thing - I suggest seeing if your socket supports one bottom contact (as is the case for 1156 and 93) or two bottom contacts (as is the case for the 94 and the "1056" at the above Certified Eevator page).

Meanwhile, further Google hits on:

1056 "miniature lamps" 1056 "miniature lamp"

so highly appear to me so irrelevant that I suspect some chance that you were told erroneously that your bulb is a 1056.

(Warranty - if things go wrongo, blooey or blammo in any way I will refund what you paid me for this, and nothing beyond that!)

Don Klipstein

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Yeah,I would not consider a 93 (I have one right here at hand)or 1056 a "miniature" lamp. It goes in a Tensor Hi-Intensity desk lamp.

what sort of power tool is it?

Reply to
Jim Yanik