Subject Author Posted Replies

Fan Motor on AC Unit will not turn off
The Fan on my AC unit will not turn off even if I turn everything off on the thermaostat, only thing that will turn it off is flipping the breaker. I have changed the contactor and thermostat out and...
8
8

"Back off" fully opened faucet?
Amigos y amigas, this has been bugging me for years. I was taught that after opening a faucet to its fullest, one should "back off" a little. WHY???
19
19

Expansion Joint Question
The expansion joint where the driveway meets the front of the garage has deteriorated. Both are over 35 years old. My plan is to slightly grind down what is left of the joint then fill it. My question...
4
4

Lesson of the year 2008
is a neat site. There used to be a video of an old guy playing it too, but he uses a slightly different fingering. Maybe on Youtube. Eh.....simple but cool. Jim
3
3

New concrete driveway, patio, and walkways
I am looking to replace a home driveway, patio, and connecting walkways, and am gathering quotations. I am posting here to ask for help with several items: 1. Is a concrete job ok to perform at this...
3
3

Removing steel door frame from concrete block wall?
A small add-on to garage is concrete block with one door. The old door is hollow core and falling apart. The frame is steel with no apparent screws or fasteners showing. The frame has coats of old...
13
13

Harbor Freight phone system hacked...
Called HF customer service today to straighten out a credit card flub, and using the number on the letter, 1-800-423-2567, I was directed to call 1-800-444-2353, which in turn redirected to...
5
5

painting galvanized flashing
The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the...
6
6

San Bruno go boom!
Been watching the teevee nooz coverage of the San Bruno [San Francisco peninsula] gas main explosion and conflagration. Wow. I used to live about a mile away from that spot, across Skyline Blvd.; used...
35
35

What kind of clear coat for acrylic paint
We asked an artist to paint a mural on the side of the house. The artist used acrylic paint for the mural, about 4x6 feet. The background is water- based house paint, acrylic or latex (Kelly Moore)....
6
6

Re-screening a door
Asked this question in a thread up yonder but it apparently got overlooked. I need to re-screen a screen door. Will probably use fiberglass (the aluminum screen has started disintegrating after only...
5
5

Solar & Wind Power Excesses / back to the grid
I was told that if a person operates a solar or wind generator, and if they produce more power than they need, this power is put back into the grid, and the producer is actually paid for the energy...
15
15

Do they even make these
Friend is going on couple month trip. He wants to put monitors for water near his sump pump and near his water heater. He would like it if they could e-mail him (I suggested texting might be quicker)...
7
7

A question about nailing 1/4" HardieBacker to a subfloor
Hi all: I've sent this message to the HardieBacker folks but I thought I'd also ask here, just in case. I'm a homeowner putting down HardieBacker as part of a bathroom floor tiling project. I've read...
6
6

Are you satisfied with your electric service?
I got a call today that showed up as "Private Caller" on my caller ID. He claimed he was from the County Electric Membership Corporation. I don't know if the call was ligit or not, but the guy asked...
7
7