Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Getting Through Phone a Phone Menu
I got involved with one of those voice-response phone menues while trying to resolve an unusual problem with a cell phone this weekend. The robot-lady said, "If you want help with a payment, say...
6
6

Manufacture date for automatic storage water heater
Trying to figure out date my GSW6 electric boiler was manufactured.
1
1

Self-adhering underlayment. Will it protect from leaks on a tile roof?
Hi: I have a very leaky tile roof, which had been "repaired" a few years ago, but now it's leaking again. Only the paper was replaced, and it seemed like the thin regular kind. The major problem is...
4
4

Outdoor electrical outlet too low to the ground
Hi. The electrical outlet by my front entrance is about 1/2" above the dirt. Looking from inside, it's within the top course of cinderblock of my basement wall. Looking from the outside, it's...
10
10

Battery changes in clocks and smoke detectors and flashlights
Although a brand name alkaline will be useful well beyond one year, and I don't change them in my battery operated radios or flashlights until they show signs of weakening, I agree with Stormy, in...
22
22

Flood Light Fixture Replacement
I want to replace some aging flood light fixtures on the outside of my home. I bought some motion-sensing flood light fixtures and went to swap them out, but I discovered that the electrical boxes are...
13
13

Cutting a metal duc t-- what tool to use?
I own most of the tools and would hate to buy a new one for this project but take your best shot at the best way and tool to do this and I will go from there. I have not actually measured it but I...
15
15

Uses for IR Laser pointer
If you shine an IR laser pointer on a tooth, the tooth lights up, revealing cavities and fillings, perhaps as nonradioactive imaging. The IR laser pointer also lights up cavities in various nonliving...
9
9

Rainwater down the backside of the gutters.
Rainwater down the backside of the gutters. I have a hip roof with two layers of composition shingle roofing. The last layer and the continuous aluminum gutters are 15 years old. I have rainwater...
6
6

Air power tools
Don't know much about them, but have seen them in action on the home improvement channels. In regard to the small ones like nailers and drllls, do they need an air compressor? Just how does it get its...
19
19

Can't adjust the Pilot light in my Gas Stove (flame too big)? adj screw.
My pilot light flame has gotten too big recently, it goes past the two sensors. I found the adjustment screw on the honeywell valve, but the flame does not respond to the adjustment. I tried...
6
6

Pigeon repellant?
I installed two TV camera under the eves of my house. The %%% pigeons use it as a landing point and crap all over my garage apron. What might serve as a pigeon repellant, at reasonable cost? They make...
29
29

hotwater baseboard
I want to add a zone to my wood boiler to heat the garage. The wood and oil boilers are tied together so oil can heat when nobody is around to put wood in the wood furnace. Since I won't be heating...
13
13

Kitchen Lighting and Efficiency
The kitchen is moving along and it is time to look at lighting. I'm looking for ideas. The house is plaster lath so recessed lighting is out. I see this as being divided into general lighting, ceiling...
12
12

Amdro
I use it. I found some today at a yard sale, all sealed. They were twenty-four ounce shaker bottles. The guy had 15 of them, and at two bucks apiece, I bought all of them. Steve
4
4