Subject Author Posted Replies

F40 CW bulbs with T12 ballasts?
I have a box of F40 CW bulbs that I would like to use up. Can F40 CW lamps be used with ballasts for T12 bulbs? Thanks, Andy
12
12

Floor to Wall air infiltration
I've pulled up the corner molding to lay down the new laminate flooring and have noticed that there is a nice gap between the floor and the sill. This in both '29 part of the house and the 70's...
2
2

OT -- filling small oil cans
I found many years ago that oil by the galon like WD-40 is cheaper than small cans of three in one. But, how to get the oil from the galon to the small can? I took about four inches of surgical...
2
2

Condensate on storm door
I have a steel front door that leaks a little air, so I installed a storm door to help the situation. A contractor friend told me the steel door was installed crooked. He fixed it as best he could....
25
25

water damage from refrigerant?
Is home air conditioning refrigerant a liquid or a gas at normal air pressure? I'm sure it's a gas, yet someone online claims, "Furthermore, because the unit was installed incorrectly, refridgerant...
8
8

cast iron radiators
I have those old, vintage cast iron radiators in my house on a wood boiler. They are not marked for direction of flow as far as I can see but I always assumed the hot should come in the bottom and as...
29
29

Framing a wall around electrical panel
I want to build a wall around my electrical panel, which is mounted on a piece of plywood (4' x 4') attached to a concrete wall in the basement. Circuits exiting the panel are stapled to the plywood....
19
19

Alcohol
I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff". I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get...
20
20

new roof
I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof, I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the shingles wont seal very good because of the cold,...
5
5

Storing furniture in unheated space, cold weather
I've not done this before, so am concerned. Midwest, unheated but dry storage area. A few pieces of good, wood furniture. Am wondering about potential for damage just from continued cold and assuming...
7
7

Snow Blower Advice
I'm shopping for a snow blower for a small driveway. I won't need anything bigger than a 24". I looked at 3 today. All appear to have the exact same features, for the exact same price - $600 179cc OHV...
44
44

Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder
I'm in my early twenties and I've already learned it's best, when it comes to tools, to get the right tool, which will last you thirty years. I don't want to buy more than one bench grinder. I can...
32
32

Identify wire
My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc...
9
9

kerosene heater?
I'm interested in max cost savings for heating. Why is it that hardly nobody seems to be using kerosene heaters anymore? Is it just because of inconvenience? Would I save a lot, especially if the...
32
32

energy tax credit
Do I have it correctly understood that the federal energy tax credit works this way: it is a "non-refundable" credit (of 30% of a new boiler's cost and up to $1500), so that if the homeowner didn't...
9
9