Subject Author Posted Replies

Framing a wall around electrical panel
I want to build a wall around my electrical panel, which is mounted on a piece of plywood (4' x 4') attached to a concrete wall in the basement. Circuits exiting the panel are stapled to the plywood....
19
19

Alcohol
I have found that alcohol is very good for cleaning "stuff". I am going to go through my fishing reels and clean them. I like to put them in a shallow tray with some alcohol, and brush them, and get...
20
20

new roof
I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof, I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the shingles wont seal very good because of the cold,...
5
5

Storing furniture in unheated space, cold weather
I've not done this before, so am concerned. Midwest, unheated but dry storage area. A few pieces of good, wood furniture. Am wondering about potential for damage just from continued cold and assuming...
7
7

Snow Blower Advice
I'm shopping for a snow blower for a small driveway. I won't need anything bigger than a 24". I looked at 3 today. All appear to have the exact same features, for the exact same price - $600 179cc OHV...
44
44

Suggestions for a decent shop bench grinder
I'm in my early twenties and I've already learned it's best, when it comes to tools, to get the right tool, which will last you thirty years. I don't want to buy more than one bench grinder. I can...
32
32

Identify wire
My friend called me up to take a look at some wiring in his garage. He had an arc in an outlet box and wanted me to check it out. the circut had a 15 amp breaker, 4 15 amp outlets daisychained. Arc...
9
9

kerosene heater?
I'm interested in max cost savings for heating. Why is it that hardly nobody seems to be using kerosene heaters anymore? Is it just because of inconvenience? Would I save a lot, especially if the...
32
32

energy tax credit
Do I have it correctly understood that the federal energy tax credit works this way: it is a "non-refundable" credit (of 30% of a new boiler's cost and up to $1500), so that if the homeowner didn't...
9
9

Beware the gnawing Backyardigans
How to tell your child that the Jack-O-Lantern was eaten by a raccoon. recall a story about some elementary school children who were watching the class mascot, a downy chick named "Mr. Peep" in the...
4
4

Invitation to Look at my Website
Joe Tobiasz is inviting you to visit his website: are plenty of Wall Decorating Ideas and Advice for my friends who like Wall Decorating Do-It-Yourself creative projects. Please check it out and tell...

Treehouse prevails over city commission
"[NEW YORK] In the countryside, in the suburbs or even in the leafier districts of New York's outer boroughs, a treehouse would hardly raise an eyebrow. But in a historic Manhattan neighborhood whose...

Steel Prices
How much are you paying for mild steel these days? I've been paying $1.10 a pound for square tubing over the last month or so. It was $0.65 earlier this year, in May or thereabouts. What are you...
3
3

Putting in ground anchors ??????
I'm setting a trailer home. I have it on blocks, but need to put those 3 foot screw anchors into the ground. Yea, I know they just screw into the ground, and I need some sort of "handle" to screw them...
6
6

The Perfect Tapemeasure
Or at least a better one. Or at least according to Gizmodo.
19
19