Subject Author Posted Replies

Maytag electric dryer motor hums
The motor just hums when "start" is pushed. I took off the belt and still just a hum. I want to try to rotate the shaft, but it's very stiff. Anyone know how to get at the motor? I have the front...
4
4

PEX Ring Types
I was looking on Ebay for the PEX tools. Several refer to Copper Rings or Stainless Steel rings. What are the standard ones normally sold at home repair centers or hardware stores? Most I have seen...
3
3

Shoplifter of the Week: Copper edition
(Nov. 23) Deputies in Kent County, Mich., are looking for three men who allegedly stole shopping carts full of copper items and tools from Menards stores in Ohio and Michigan, according to a report by...
72
72

closet lighting
I've been working on shelves and storage in the rental house. They are kind of odd shaped closets and needed some custom shelves which turned out really well. It's amazing how non square corners can...
10
10

replacing flourescent lighting with hi-hats in basement
I am redoing my basement and I wanted to put all H7 hi hats to replace the flourescent lighting. I presently have 4 1X4 fixtures in. I am trying to figure out how many hi-hats equals 1 fixture as far...
7
7

Easy Water Product
Does anyone know about or had any experience with the Easy Water electronic device for hard water? Does it really work and does it perform the same as a standard water softener? Thanks.
24
24

Deck House restoration
Lots of pics of our ongoing restoration of a 1970 contemporary Deck House. Not a lot of info on fixing these style houses on the web,so hope this might be helpful...
1
1

What kind of pipe to use in barn
I ran about 40 feet of 1" PCV pipe across the ceiling in my barn. It goes from the hydrant (spigot) in the "water room" to the opposite side of the barn. The object is to get the water over to that...
8
8

sitting toilet on base
The wax seal broke on the toilet. it sits on a concrete floor with a raised flange, and was not shimmed to prevent rocking. I'm trying to line up the bolts to re-seat the toilet on the flange before I...
11
11

10 Uses for Expired Gift Cards in Home Repair
From "This Old House" http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0 10 Uses For on This Old House
1
1

Need dolly ramp recommendations
Hi All, I need to be doing some moving of appliances into and out of my garage in to my house. The rise from outside of my house over the sill is 6". My refrigerator dolly can do this, but I am...
12
12

polycarbonate skylight hazing
Why would a polycarbonate skylight haze to the point it looks like frosted glass? Background: North Florida (Gainesville). About ten years, my mom replaced the glazing on the large (about 2.5x5')...
6
6

stand by generac
hello i have a customer who has a stand by that is having troubles running. i changed the oil pressure switch,but the unit still says low oil and will not come on auto.but if you reset it it will run....
8
8

Toilet Clog?
My toilet/drain has a clog in it. I can tell by the half assed way it flushes. I tried the usual things, like a plunger, hot water, and even a toilet auger. I can get the toilet auger all the way down...
9
9

Bricks under the furnace?
1) I'm getting a new oil furnace in the basement, and the installer wants to put a brick under each corner. ?? Is this something old- timers do? Is it a good idea? Are the bricks to prevent rusting?...
41
41