Subject Author Posted Replies

Do oil furnace fireboxes and chimneys get creosote?
The suject line says it all: Do oil furnace fireboxes and chimneys get creosote? One chimeny sweep company told me the chimneys do.
25
25

Krimped House Water Supply Pipe
My public water supply pipe is krimped just after it enters the house and just before the shutoff valve. It has been this way for a long time and I have no reason to suggest it would continue to be...
20
20

Holes in drywall
Over many years, I've used toggle bolts to attach mirrors, light fixtures and vanity cabinets to my wallpapered bathroom wall. Now, I've removed everything and there's a lot of 1/2" to 1" holes in the...
7
7

Kitchen drain pipe - snake goes through easily, but not water?
I'm baffled. Kitchen sink backed up yesterday, so I removed the kitchen disposal to snake the pipe. I also disconnected the pipe in the basement (where I have a rubber boot connector to plastic pipe...
34
34

new constuction unlevel floor questionable repair
------------------------------------- _____ ____ / | o | | |/ ___| |_________/ |_|_| |_|_|
9
9

Concrete for Woodstove Floor
The chimney sweeps came today. They told my wife that the concrete on the bottom of the fire box, inside the stove, is cracked and needs to be replaced. My wife confirms that this is so. Questions: 1....
4
4

Electrical outlets stopped working
I just plugged in a 4.1 amp vacuum on one of my 2nd floor outlets, turned it on and all it did was make this noise as if it had just been turned off and everything was "spinning down." I tried...
24
24

Supplemental heating for independent zones
This is a rather big one, and I'm hoping I'll get a bit of discussion going on this, as there's lots of angles to this, and I frankly am curious to know what other people have come up with. I have...
14
14

Vinyl Underlayment - Screws vs ring shank
You mean the ring shanks that are meant for underlayment? If the heads are flush (why wouldn't they be?) they're fine, but if the installer was a little meat-fisted and put some hammer dings in the...
2
2

I have a flashlight
The light is very dim. Someone told me I need to change the batteries. How do I change the batteries? Or do I need to call an electrician?
12
12

How to connect compression fittings
I got that valve for copper tubing I posted about before -- thanks for the advice and leads on that -- and it has a compression fitting at each end. Does anyone flare the tubing enough so that the...
5
5

Proper Humidifier % OOPS
Got a new humidifier. I can choose the % level I want it to make the humidity. Of course the higher I set it, the more water it uses. And it can use a lot! Anyway what would be a good % level to set...
11
11

Where to get the ingredients for making Open-Source Cola at home
Where online would you get open-source cola ingredients for a good price? I built a home carbonation system out of a C02 tank, a regulator, and some hoses & quick connects along with Pep Boys brass...
9
9

Sump Pumps, run them once a month so the bearings don't seize
that's my tip for the day... if you have a sump pump, run the motor for a few seconds at least once a month to keep the bearings from seizing up. cheers Mark
4
4

Rain Barrels
Hi all, Since you are talking about rain barrels, I thought I'd let you know that helps non-profit groups raise funds by selling rain barrels. You'd be surprised how easy it is to make $3000+ Please...
7
7