Subject Author Posted Replies

installing flush valve
I had a toilet tank that needed a new flush valve, so I picked one up at Lowes, a universal plumb pak....no matter what I did, everytime I put the tank back on, a small leak happened around the nut of...
11
11

bought an old house (90 years old)
water coming form the basement and the basement need for sure waterproofing treatment. the house sold as is (power sale) and i am not sure if the plumming working fine because i have not moved yet (i...
32
32

A good household air freshener / deoderant
With the cold in the winter, the house doesn't get opened much and household odors accumulate; cooking odors, doggie odors, bathroom odors, etc. I'm looking for some good suggestions for room...
30
30

Back up sump pump drain to laundry sink
------------------------------------- woods< I would like to install a battery back up sump pump with a flow rate of 2000GPM. It is illegal to drain a sump pump into the sewer, and my main pump is...
28
28

Why aren't backpack vacuums more popular in the home?
I don't dislike vacuuming, what I dislike is the hassle of moving the canister around my narrow row house and having to hold it for the stairs or to vacuum high things. I'm fit with no back problems....
18
18

electronic ballast for F15T8?
OK, I've been home sick since last Saturday and starting to go stir crazy... silly ideas running through my head I have an old Dazor draftman's lamp that I use for a desk light. I have some high-CRI...
10
10

Shifting a light fixture
After mounting a light fixture on my bathroom wall, I noticed that it is not centered over the sink and it is too low. Without moving the existing standard electrical wall box, how can I shift the...
12
12

Tub faucet
Two years and the damn thing is leaking. Do they still sell the old style faucets that you replace the washers in? These cheep moen washer less 1/4 turn things are crap!! I can't see paying $300.00 +...
2
2

heat pump in winter
We have a heat pump, and it is relatively cold right now (28F). The heat pump has been running continuously for several hours. (Sometimes the emergency heat came on.) Then a few minutes ago the...
10
10

Ceiling Hugger Fan Installation
I've installed countless conventional ceiling fans that use a "ball mount" and a special bracket, and also used a junction box designed for ceiling fans. I have never installed a ceiling hugger fan...
7
7

Anchoring screws in a lamp
I'm repairing a used high-intensity lamp with a magnifying lens that I picked up. Three screw sockets are either split or disintegrated, probably from over-tightening. (See picture 1.) On one side of...
7
7

best way to seal attic?
i have one of those attic doors with the pull down steps. read an article saying these really blow the heat out of the house....best way to seal it wihtout spending a fortune? thanks
14
14

OT - Rite Aid pharmacy now spies on customers
FLeetwood 4-5789. You can call me up, any old time.
35
35

(OT) Learn to use a phone
I can understand some people. Why cant they learn to use a phone and an answering machine. Maybe they should be required to take classes before they can get phone service.... Here's the deal: I saw a...
19
19

Stupid Home Repair Shows
They're having one of these home repair shows on tv. They are telling a homeowner to mount their flat screen tv above a fireplace. Are these guys really that stupid? Obviously the heat from the...
34
34