120V light on 240V?

I've just purchased 2 lights from the USA to be sent to the UK. Before ordering I was told that the lights will be compatible with the UK voltage! Now there's a sticker on the light saying: "CAUTION - to reduce risk of fire use 60Watt type b lamps MAX. only, 120V..." What are the chances of me burning the house down? I'd really like to rule this possibility out! Please help anyone!!
sUGGEST YOU DISCARD BULBS AND BUY SOME UK ES lamps rated at 220v.

I'm reminded of a shampoo commerical where the wife leans out of the shower and her hair is covered with loads of soap bubbles, and her husband says, "Be careful. That shampoo has to last us all the way through Spain." As if they don't sell shampoo in Europe.
It's probably for Prell Concentrate, since it's concentrated I guess, and though it is what I might take on a vacation, I don't see any reason to use it at home. Stupid commercial.

Unless it's got two lamps in series, it'll burn out in a flash, unless there is a transformer built into the fixture. I would contact the seller, to find out "how" it is going to work on 240 volt

You'll have to replace the bulbs. Wattage is the heat you feel, so you need 220V but the same 60W bulbs.
nads wrote:

You mean you bought two light *fixtures*? Use appropriately sized 240V UK lamps and they should work just fine.
Bob

You do realize the plugs and lamps are different in the UK ?
Bill
Berkshire Bill wrote:

I don't know what base the lamps have in the UK. Perhaps he needs to replace the lampholders too. If he liked the lamps enough to bother to import them, it's probably worth it.
Bob

That is why al gore invented the internet. I get nicotine gum from New Zealand, computer parts from Hong Kong and strange sized metric bolts from Germany. That is all from my Lazyboy
http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath850_3875

Send them back. The light bulbs in the UK have a "bi-pin" (push & twist) base whereas those in the USA are screw-in. They are completely incompatible.
Buy the lights in the UK this way you know they'll work over there. Same thing with cars & TV's.
So you can't ask how many Brits does it take to screw in a light bulb?

You have two 120v lights that have to run on 240v. Change them from parallel to series. That way each light will see 120v and think it is in the USA.
For the bulbs to think they are in the USA, you'll have to refrain from saying blimey, telly, lorry, flat, or pooftah when within hearing range of the bulbs.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

If you always use the same wattage bulb in each.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Take a supply of 240v edison base bulbs with you and be prepared to replace the plug,

Asking for advice online in an anonymous forum is sorta asking for a fire don't ya think?