Subject Author Posted Replies

Car tires blowing from snow load
We just got something like 7 feet of snow and the drifts are up to 25 feet. I was wondering what all the banging and popping sounds were until I figured out it was car tires blowing out from the...
20
20

Whatever happened to DIY dry cleaning.?
Whatever happened to DIY dry cleaning.? Someone mentioned they have a box that looks like Dryel but is generic so one can do dry cleaning in his own home. Good idea? I never knew or don't remember why...
21
21

What does a Fire Alarm sound like in Spanish ?
What does a Fire Alarm sound like in Spanish? Or a Police Siren in French? Do they make smoke alarms for people who speak Greek?
9
9

CFL Dimmer Switches
I'm replacing a chandelier with a million of incandescent chandelier bulbs with a regular multi-bulb fixture. I'd like to still be able to dim the fixture. Has anyone used dimmer switches designed to...
5
5

OT: Search engine for those who hate Google
saw it on a billboard the other day. Has no Usenet archive, but finds Google's archive when I did a search. The Internet privacy company that empowers you to seamlessly take control of your personal...
1
1

Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)
Getting mighty cold in central Texas. Last couple days was 80+ degrees. Got down to 40 at midnight last night and by 9:00 this morning, it was 32. Going to be 17 degrees tonight, and 15 tomorrow...
11
11

Helping hand
Several years ago while needing a hand holding up the rear of the transmission on my van I grabbed a scissors jack out of my wife's car and it worked great. Since then I have used it many times and...
16
16

electric dryer drum won't turn
------------------------------------- Took apart dryer...drum out...and we still cannot spin drum by hand. Have cleaned all lint from all dryer parts...cleanest dryer in town! Shouldn't the drum...
7
7

OT Damned txt messages come at the worst time!
"Black Widow" suicide bomber planned a terrorist attack in central Moscow on New Year's Eve but was killed when an unexpected text message set off her bomb too early, according to Russian security...
9
9

Wire gauge and amperage
What amperage is Romex #8 copper wire? On some charts I see 40 A and on some I see 50 A.
14
14

OT - ...and the snow begins in northern VT
I know a lot of regulations are relaxed in VT, but possums shouldn't be driving in the first place. They're horrible drivers and don't wear seat belts. That's why you see them lying dead on the road...
12
12

Inspectors are not evil
I had my electrical inspection yesterday for my whole house re-wire. The guy came around 10 and checked every outlet with a plug-in three light tester. Pulled a few outlets to make sure I didn't cut...
31
31

Bad Tenants
We've been thinking of renting our current home rather than selling in this down market while we rent in some of the places we're thinking of retiring to. Unfortunately, movies like "Pacific Heights"...
95
95

Bathroom wall framing for towel racks, etc.
Take some pictures and write the height on the picture. Save them for later.
21
21

Microwave temperatures, Browninig Plate, Harmful???
Microwave temperatures, Browning Plate, Harmful??? My microwave died and I got a new 1100W one. Big error. With a minimum on-time of 15 seconds, it cooks the crap out of stuff for some percentage of...
19
19