Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: We all need a good laff
Date: Monday, January 31, 2011, 9:19 AM Darwin Awards Yes, it's that magical time of year again when the Darwin Awards are bestowed, honoring the least evolved among us. These may or may not all be...
7

CFL & Dimmer Combo
It seems to me that dimmable CFLs must do a two step with a standard light dimmer. I have one overhead lamp I don't mind throwing a specific bulb/dimmer combo on it, and spending some money on. What...
5
5

OT: Your tax dollars at work
Here's the first few paragraphs of a new report from AU (Americans United for Separation of Church and State). The whole report can be read at...
4
4

tying in a/c condensate drain into 1 1/2" PVC pipe from sump pump
To simplify things in my furnace room I want to tie in my A/C condensate drain into the 1 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump, and have it drain outside. I assume I need some kind of check valve for this?...
9
9

Wind mill
Why would the town care how close a wind mill is to a stream? Do they leak grease or something?
46
46

Instead of a right angle drive, how about a light duty T-drive?
Desperately seeking sources for a T-drive. What I mean by that is something like these. Milwaukee 48-06-2871 (right angle drive) or 49-22-8510 (right angle drill attachment) General Tools 924 Metabo...
9
9

smoke detector recommendations?
I have two smoke detectors in my house which are over 8 years old, plus one CO detector. Since the smoke detectors are near end of life, I'd like to improve the coverage. I also need new detectors in...
10
10

Ice Dams
We presently have substantial ice dams on a roof that was done about a year and a half ago (complete rip-off of old shingles down to plywood, installed 30-year GAF architectural shingles). Our...
18
18

F-connector installation tool for RG-6 quad shield?
Hi all bought a roll of quad shield a while ago and still have a good bit left. Still find myself occasionally needing to make up a cable. Connectors are damn near impossible to install on this stuff;...
17
17

Use house heating or halogen far-infrared heater for one person?
Let's say I stay upstairs alone in a 2600 sq ft 2-story house. I can turn on the gas heater of the house for upstairs only, set the thermostat to (say) 70 F. Or I can use a personal haolgen...
13
13

tracing a sewage line
I'd like to root out my waste line running to the sewer. It appears to me that this runs through a neighbors property, a long way to go, before it dumps in the sewer. I'd like to find exactly where my...
36
36

Converting L.P. appliances to Natural Gas Question(s)
I am in the process of switching over from LP to natural gas ... the line is roughed in, and I need to get conversion kits for my appliances before making the connection. I have a TAPPAN 30-4980-3204...
20
20

quality of "durable" goods?
I bought a galvanized water tank about 5 years ago. It had multiple pin- holes after 3 years. I bought a replacement bathtub for a house at about the same time. It has spalling and severe corrosion in...
9
9

Cable Company Vans and Orange Cones
a.h.r. relate: The house across the street from me had a 2nd floor toilet let go soon after a young couple bought the house. They hadn't moved in yet and the water ran for close to 24 hours before...
24
24

Rheem Classic HVAC Condenser - Run Capacitor Replacement
I recently cleaned out the coils on our Rheem Classic condenser and also took the time to take some pictures of the run capacitor replacement procedure. I have experience replacing a capacitor on our...
4
4