12 volt impact wrench

Page 1 of 3

Anyone tried one of these lighter plug impact wrenches? I got to change a tire a couple weeks ago, and really coulda used an impact. But do they do any good, or are they all hype and no torque?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Specifically, don't know, but I would really doubt they have enough impact/torque to do much good on an over-torqued lug nut (as is usually the case if a tire shop did it -- seems like they universally just set their wrenches on "max". :( ).
I keep a long breakover in the car for the purpose -- I _know_ it will work when needed...
dpb wrote:

I got some new tires recently at WalMart. After the hippie seemingly finished, I asked if the car was ready to go. "Just a minute," the hippie said and disappeared.
Presently the hippie returned with the auto parts manager who was carrying a torque wrench. The manager proceded to test each lug nut. As he was doing so, the hippie oozed over to me and said: "Company policy. We have to have a second person set your bolts. Walmart doesn't want your nuts to fall off!" He was then dissolved into uncontrollable giggles.
I was pleased WalMart was concerned about my nuts.

Walmart torques my nuts at least 25 ft lbs higher than spec. Discout tires over torques more than 40 ft lbs.
DK wrote:

I wonder why? Do they think over torquing is better/safer?
I would think that the spec is set to both ensure safety as far the lug nuts not coming off and protection of the threads on the lug nut and or stud.
I'm guessing the installers don't even consider the possibility of damaging the nuts/studs and just assume tighter is better.
Of course, this is all coming from a guy who tightens his lug nuts until they squeek. "Man, they sure sound tight!" <g>
snipped-for-privacy@eznet.net says...

Given that they're going to do it wrong, I'd rather have them over torque than under torque. It's safer to lose a bolt than the whole wheel.

put the spare on because some asshole overtorqued the lugnuts. I don't appreciate hiking back to civilization especially in bad weather.
BTW: All the discount tires shops I've seen use torque wrenches. (at least in colorado and arizona. I don't know about elsewhere)
snipped-for-privacy@PremoveOBthisOX.COM says...

It sucks even more to have a wheel fall off at 70 mph due to under torqued nuts. On a return trip from Philadelphia to Buffalo quite a few years ago, we had to stop due to a severe wobble in one of the rear wheels. Turns out that three of the bolts had already failed and the remaining two were barely hanging on. I shudder to think what might have happened had we gone just a few more miles.

That's been my recent experience around Chicago, although I don't know if it's a universal thing.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:21:51 GMT, AZ Nomad

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:21:51 GMT, AZ Nomad

You've got a tire iron and a jack, how can you not be able to loosen the nuts?

You can be unable to generate 350ft-lbs. of torque with the jack that comes with the car. I've jumped up and down on the end of the tire-iron and still been unable. Sorry. I only weigh 200 lbs and can only generate 200-300ft-lbs of torque when I'm jumping down on the end of a 9" tire iron.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:45:54 GMT, AZ Nomad

You put the tire-iron on the nut, handle-sticking out sideways, to the right. Then you put the jack under the end of the handle and crank it up. You might have an issue if the jack handle is the same hunk of metal as the tire-iron, but that's not usually the case, anymore.
Having a 3' hunk of blackpipe in the car is still a better solution, though.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu says...

I've stripped out the stock tire-iron. I've had some fold up. Most of the stock irons put a sideways torque on the lug and the iron slips off, rounding both.

--
Keith

A good cross type tire iron won't generate enough torque. Nowadays I always keep a 20-24" breaker bar and a 1/2" socket in the car.
In article <slrneo3ajf.l92.aznomad.2@ip70-176-155-

I can put a *lot* of torque on a lug with a cross lug-wrench. Stand on one end while lifting the other puts a tun on torque on the nut, while making sure there is no lateral torque on the lug.nut/wrench.
--
Keith

I was talking about situations where the lugnuts have been overtorqued by a impact hammer.
In article <slrneo3eb7.l92.aznomad.2@ip70-176-155-

--
Keith

"Good" is the operative word here. A good 1-bend tire iron won't slip of the lugs, and a good cross-iron won't freaking twist into a pretzel and snap the socket off the bar on you. Both of which I've had happen with cheap equipment.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.uri.edu says...

An 'l' iron will still put a lateral torque on the lug and tend to slip on the nut. Get a decent 'X' iron and put it under the spare, You do have a full sized spare...
--
Keith

Having one that fits the lug nuts; priceless.
-- Oren