12" rough-in toilets actually measure 10"?

Page 2 of 2

Errm...the flange bolts _are_ on the centerline. At least they asre if those are the bolts used to fasten down the toilet.
Harry K
Mikepier wrote:

Here's a link to a few blurbs about the rough-in measurements, people's preferences, etc.:
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/outlet-11-wall-can-use-12-rough-toilet-275915-last.html
As far as I can tell, different people have different preferences regarding how far from the wall the tank should end up being. I have seen many setups where the distance is one or two inches, and the two-inch distance seems a little strange to me. I would rather see the distance be much smaller, maybe 1/2-inch, but not have the tank actually touching the wall (so taking the tank cover off won't involve rubbing it against the wall).
But, given the above discussion link, I think maybe you'll get what you want by buying one of the 12-inch rough-in toilets you saw. If you take careful measurements, which you appear to have done, the end result seems like it would be that the 12-inch toilet you buy will fit well in the space you have and will end up with the tank close to, or touching, the wall.