12 mil laminate

I'm trying to match thickness of laminate flooring. What part of laminate is 12 mil?
On 3/28/2011 10:21 AM, don &/or Lucille wrote:

12 mil is almost a half inch (25.4 mil/inch), quite thick for laminate flooring.
Jeff
On 3/28/2011 11:13 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I am assumed mm, but I copied the mil. My mistake, and probably the ops as well.
All the laminate I've seen is speced in total thickness and in mm.
Jeff

On 3/28/2011 12:43 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

the thickness of 4 sheets of paper would probably just refer to the surface thickness of the laminate.
On 3/28/2011 1:18 PM, Frank wrote:

That seems like a reasonable number for the photographic layer, so perhaps.
But I see that 12mm laminate is not uncommon (not that I've seen it), so it seems more likely the OP is mistaken.
Jeff
I installed 12 mil laminate last year. It is very close to 1/2 inch. thick.

On 3/28/2011 5:46 PM, Johnl wrote:

I still think mil is one thousandth of an inch or folks are mixing mil and mm.

Do you mean 12 mm (millimeters)? In trade jargon a mil is 0.001" so 0.012" would be rather thin.
Joe

That could be the thickness of the laminate coating on top of the MDF board. The OP needs to clarify his measurements or what he is talking about.
I want to know if i bought what they refer to as 12 mil how thick would it be? I know what a mil is but wasn't so if it refered to the paper shin or what

Ok it's mm eople just call it mil