12 amp wire size

I was wondering what cable size to use for wiring a 125V 12 amp fan that is

100 feet away from the breaker panel.

Thanks.

Reply to
Henry

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You should be able to use 14 gauge wire.

It'll drop about 4 volts at 12 amps over that length, but that shouldn't worry a fan much.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You could use #14, but there will be a lot of VD at startup, which won't be too good for the fan. #12 isn't all that much more expensive.

Reply to
Toller

How did you determine that, and how much, specifically, are you thinking is "a lot" for a fractional hp fan motor???

That's true, certainly, and I have pretty much quit using 14, but if it's a dedicated circuit I don't think there's a chance in the world the difference would make any practical difference at all.

If, otoh, there's a chance of wanting something else, that would necessitate it in all likelihood.

--

Reply to
dpb

Not to nitpick but wouldn't a motor drawing 12 running amps (if the OP is correct) be in the realm of a couple hp? If I recall my 5 hp compressor motor draws around 12.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Not at 120V it don't. A "true" 5HP motor will draw somewhere around 40A on 120V, or 20A on 240V. (On motors >= 1HP, count on approximately

900-1000W/HP because of inefficiencies. Yes, I know, the exact conversion is 746W/HP, but no motor is 100% efficient)

At 120V, a standard 12A motor is probably between 3/4 and 1HP, tho possibly as low as 1/2HP. Not lower unless it's a real lousy or poorly spec'd motor. (Serious fan in any case...)

A 12A motor can draw well over three (or even five) times that much during startup. 12V or more drop (assuming the previous math was right) at 100'. That's a significant amount, and will significantly prolong startup and produce more heat, and ultimately shorten the fan motor's lifetime. Perhaps by not much, but perhaps by quite a bit.

This is a good place to go up a wire size. It's cheap.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

You're correct about that, and using 12 gauge might be a wise investment.

Currently Lowes' price for 100 ft of 14 gauge is $36.00 vs. $52.50 for

12 gauge.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I used to work with Baldor repulsion/induction motors in the oilfield. There were all 240v, 15 hp. If memory serves, on the well upstroke they drew around 30 amps and otherwise around 18.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Don't know who you are; I have you blocked for the stupid things you have said in the past. For good reason, here is one more!

12a is not a fractional hp motor. Don't you even bother to read the posts?
Reply to
Toller

Borderline on a 15A circuit. 12 ga. would be better. 20 A breaker

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
12/2 on a 20a breaker will more than suffice.
Reply to
Steve Barker
52.50? that sounds like a 200' price to me.
Reply to
Steve Barker

Ever read the NEC for voltage drop allowances?

Reply to
<kjpro

Priced copper wire recently?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Not recently, but if I advised something which wouldn&#39;t meet code then I apologize and stand corrected.

I just figured that a 4 volt drop would still furnish a fan motor with sufficient power to do its thing.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
kool

According to Meat Plow :

240V at 30A is 7200W, which means that during the upstroke those motors were delivering somewhere around 6-8 HP. Conservative motor selection, given that weather/rig conditions etc could cause the motor to need more.

It would have been interesting to compare that with the motor plate ratings, or know what size the fuses/breakers were.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

They lie. Campbell Hausfeld lost a class axction suit over it. I ended up with a sheet metal nibbler out of it.

Reply to
gfretwell