Subject Author Posted Replies

water hose fittings
It's spring and time to get the water hoses set up. My goal is not to have to replace everything every year. I've had good luck so far with the Vigoro manifolds with the individual shutoff valves. So...
14
14

washer drain water through lift station into kitchen sink
Tenant plumbed in a basement laundry. To do that he put in a lift station and directed the water up to the kitchen sink and tapped into the sink drain plumbing. Is that ok?
2
2

What would cause light bulbs to blow out (like a flame) and to be dim for a few minutes on certain circuits?
I realize I need an electrician - but may I get advice first? Two electrical phenomena: 1. Once every few months, I turn on a light and the bulb just blows out (like a candle). It goes on and then...
33
33

Proper setup for two 50 gallon gas hot water heaters in SERIES (with recirculating pump)
I realize two major mistakes of my last post on this topic: - How would you set up two 50 gallon hot water heaters in series? My mistakes were that I confused everyone by mixing series and parallel...
25
25

Deterring wood peckers
Thanks for the suggestions about my hardwood floors. I've put protection on my furniture and looking at products to keep them in good shape. I really appreciate the replies. I wanted to find that...
12
12

Hot Water Heater And Temp. Setting ?
Hello, Have the typical vertical cylinder gas fired house hot water heater. The thermostat on the gas control has a little raised bar on the dial half-way between the HOT and WARM marks. This is where...
12
12

A dinmmable substitute for an incadescent bulb
We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table. There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp has been on wall dimmer for a dozen years. I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs...
8
8

Replacement tips for propane torches
Anyone know of a source for buying just the tips for a propane/MAPP torch? No sense buying a whole new TS4000 or other torch when all I need is the new 'swirl' tip.
6
6

Camera on pole in my yard
On a pole in my yard there are the wires attached to that pole which come to my house for electricity. But there is a round gray colored thing up there that looks like a pail. Some wires go into it....
12
12

Be careful when using a toilet as "ladder"
The toilet is a Roca Victoria-05. I was trying to repair the bulb socket at the ceiling of the toilet. I stepped down from height, putting my right foot on the edge of the Roca toilet seat (covered),...
11
11

Sprinkler System - Two stations come on at the same time
I bought this house 3 years ago with the sprinkler system already installed, so I don't know much about it. It has worked for the last few years. Now when I run station #2 another station (#3) always...
22
22

Complete Nuclear Meltdown - Japan is Gone
From the Associated Press March 20, 2011 Complete Nuclear Meltdown Several of the nuclear power plants in Fukushima Japan have completely melted down. It's estimated that at least 60% of Japan is...
11
11

Log Splitter Conversion Pix
Just finished my log splitter project. This was a broken unit I got cheap on Ebay. I wanted something to convert for use on my little skid steer. I set it up to just clamp onto a set of forks, and...
3
3

Everlast Composite Siding
I have cedar boards on my house now that were installed poorly. I don't ever want to deal with painting again after having to pay for a paint job on this house and also still have to paint it myself...
1
1

Fix leak in DWV plastic pipe
I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested (sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to...
12
12