Subject Author Posted Replies

OT How I wtopped worrying
OT Isn't there a promotional drawing for "How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb" that shows someone's stretched out over the nosecone of missile, arms and leg wide apart, struggling to...
25
25

pipe more flexible than PEX?
A section of copper pipe in my garage (supplies an outside faucet) wall bursted during winter. I heard replacing that section with PEX would make it more freeze resistant. I went and checked out PEX...
17
17

Fallout Shelter Supplies
I'm preparing for the nuclear radiation coming here to the US from Japan. My father built our underground fallout shelter in the 1950s, but never equipped it with supplies. In the last week I have...
72
72

Where can someone buy a Geiger Counter?
(off topic) With the nuclear radiation from Japan spreading all over the planet, I'd like to buy a geiger counter to watch the levels, and if they get high, be able to take cover with my family in our...
8
8

FYI: Wayne-Dalton garage door openers are no more
Over the years there have been various discussions of the W-D iDrive garage door openers. Ours was replaced free of charge about two years ago but now seems to have died -- and they are no longer...
1
1

Trim 15 year-old shingles
All right. Now for the ugly stuff. About 15 years ago, in a weak moment, I hired some loose roofers to scrape and shingle my 2-car detached garage in th US midwest. I served 'em lunch and paid cash....
22
22

OT Online banking rant
I use Wells Fargo. You know, the bank that doesn't have a coin counting machine. My car insurance payment check was returned. I only do this every 6 months so it is not a regular thing. I have paid it...
24
24

water hose fittings
It's spring and time to get the water hoses set up. My goal is not to have to replace everything every year. I've had good luck so far with the Vigoro manifolds with the individual shutoff valves. So...
14
14

washer drain water through lift station into kitchen sink
Tenant plumbed in a basement laundry. To do that he put in a lift station and directed the water up to the kitchen sink and tapped into the sink drain plumbing. Is that ok?
2
2

What would cause light bulbs to blow out (like a flame) and to be dim for a few minutes on certain circuits?
I realize I need an electrician - but may I get advice first? Two electrical phenomena: 1. Once every few months, I turn on a light and the bulb just blows out (like a candle). It goes on and then...
33
33

Proper setup for two 50 gallon gas hot water heaters in SERIES (with recirculating pump)
I realize two major mistakes of my last post on this topic: - How would you set up two 50 gallon hot water heaters in series? My mistakes were that I confused everyone by mixing series and parallel...
25
25

Deterring wood peckers
Thanks for the suggestions about my hardwood floors. I've put protection on my furniture and looking at products to keep them in good shape. I really appreciate the replies. I wanted to find that...
12
12

Hot Water Heater And Temp. Setting ?
Hello, Have the typical vertical cylinder gas fired house hot water heater. The thermostat on the gas control has a little raised bar on the dial half-way between the HOT and WARM marks. This is where...
12
12

A dinmmable substitute for an incadescent bulb
We have a ceiling fan with a light fixture over the kitchen table. There are a pair of 100 watt bulbs in the lamp has been on wall dimmer for a dozen years. I have a small stash of 100watt bulbs...
8
8

Replacement tips for propane torches
Anyone know of a source for buying just the tips for a propane/MAPP torch? No sense buying a whole new TS4000 or other torch when all I need is the new 'swirl' tip.
6
6