Subject Author Posted Replies

Ideas for a drape pull?
We just moved into a house and the previous owner has a quilted shade in a half circle window that sits on top of another window. He didn't leave the drape pole. The string runs up the center of the...
19
19

Sommer Synoris 550 garage door opener -- a report
Our Wayne-Dalton iDrive quit -- although the motor was supposed to have a lifetime warranty, they are no longer made and no parts available. I read the reviews of the German-made* Sommer Synoris 550...
9
9

Dual flush
Well I guess I missed the orginal Ask THis Old House. I saw this rerun last night that shows a $20.00 kit that converts any toilet to a dual flush to save water on flushing liquids. Neat, I just...
7
7

Question on 220V A/c outlet
Doing some reno work in my brother-in-laws condo. Changed out the old FPE subpanel panel to a new one, worked out great. Now I am changing out the old outlets. One of them is a 220V A/C outlet that...
32
32

Question about grout removal
I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of...
13
13

Caulk Underneath Shower Frame?
I have a shower stall with two slider doors. I had to disassemble the frame recently. When it was professionally installed a number of years ago, the vertical frame members were caulked with clear...
1
1

UPS for sump pump
Have a client who's looking for some kind of battery-backed sump pump solution. Not knowing a lot about this equipment, I did a little research. Starting at a business that was suggested by the client...
15
15

OT: heat house with car engine
Some of the survivors of the Japan earthquake/tsunami are sheltering in schools without heat. Is it possible to use a car engine to safely heat the interior of a building? Could you disconnect the...
13
13

Becoming a Home Inspector
I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH,...
8
8

Did Richard Trethewey change his name?
I was watching the DIY network the other day and they were running a commercial for the new season of Ask This Old House. The announcer claims that one of the experts is Richard Treth-Away instead of...
14
14

House Build - Sheathing Question
I've been watching the progress of a house build that a co-worker is going through via pictures that he is taking. I've been able to explain to him just about everything that the builder is doing...
11
11

anyone using rollup security shutters on door & windows?
Sure could use your advice. What's been your experience? Who makes the best products?
3
3

OT - Berryman's B-12 fuel additive
It definitely does. I raised the mileage on my almost full 14 gallon gas tank by 2 mpg after I added a two-gallon bottle of Berryman's B-12.
3
3

3 more new quiz in civil engineering
3 more new quizez added in civil engineering in the following subject areas: 2 quiz in structural design quiz in structural analysis Please visit the above links Civil Engineering quiz on Structural...

I love the smell of paint in the morning
Just did a paint job with Benjamin Moore "Aura" paint (customer-supplied). Had heard about the stuff but never used it before today. (It's a flat that they claim to be washable.) Besides seeming like...
2
2